Creative Authenticity Field Setup

mark048

Question

Curious, can anyone thinking of a way to accomplish this task?

My app has team projects and I only want the people that are members of each specific project to see the data table contents. 

I have gotten it to work by creating a new authenticity login, that contains a code that is specific to each project. The only problem is the user has to re-login to each project because the code is different. 

I cant really narrow by having a criteria in a view, at least I don't think, because new projects will be created daily, each containing a variety of members. 

I am trying to do this and make it more fluid.

Thanks,

Mark

4 answers to this question

Im not exactly sure , what the setup is 

but

If the "projects" is  stored as data in a  table and the users are in a separate table, 

The access to specific projects should be solved by record level access ( data pages /reports )

- only certain users can see their own data.

which means only authorized users can see certain projects.

The authentication should not be the criteria -  for viewing specific data for specific users 

The authentication only -  restricts access to pages & reports.

Record level access restricts a  logged in specific user to specific data.

This requires planning , designing and setting up the tables correctly .

It seems like the solution  lies in creatively re-arranging your entities (users and projects) in planned tables.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Best ~

Thank you. I'll have to put my thinking cap on some more. I tried record level, but it was limiting the user to seeing one record, their own, and I need them to see everyone else's data (project Forum, users list, file upload, Ect). But maybe you are right and I need to play more with my tables and views. 

I ended up removing the new authentication table and going back to my main authentication.

Then I added a field that holds all user ids in my project table (I added JavaScript in my datapage to combine all userids already added with any new users to the project). Then I added a search of that field with a Contains (userid) search  to ensure the members userid is present in the project. The brackets around userid are in the table and search function so a userid that is short won't find part of itself in the table, such as a userid of 1 would be found if someone's user is was 100. So it searches for (1) so it will only find (1) if it's present, if that makes sense.  

Thanks

Mark

That sounds great. 

Looks like you created a " 1 to Many " Table Relationship :  

Parent (User) - Child (Projects) Relationship which makes sense.

1 (User) -to - Many (Projects) Relationship.

By creating this relationship, a user Id would be stored with  each project in the Projects table.

If multiple users can be in and have multiple projects,

or in other words a single project CAN have multiple Users,

then you would require a many-to-many relationship.

Example : 3 Tables (Many to many)

Users >> UserProjects << Projects

Im guessing what your trying to do is:-

1)Only Some of  your users would have a "Managerial" role,

-A Manager is one who can view ,edit and access everybody elses records and stuff .

2) When This Manager User logs in , he would interact with all projects in the table.

Others would not.

Since there are 2 types of Users 

a) Can login in and search and manage only their own Projects ( Role : Basic)

b )  Can login and search, view,  and manage everybody elses projects  (Role : Managers)

If there are many features besides just a search that makes the users experience different.

Then I would recommend Re-Directing the logged in User based on His "Role"

Best ~