Html Tag With Parameters

gcbauer03

Question

I'm stuck. 

I am trying to create two web pages that are in a one-to-many relationship according to the tutorial and video from the Caspio support center. The directions have me add an html block in the Configure Results section of the search and report datapage that appears in the first web page. The html block is a simple tag to redirect to the next web page and pass an ID as the parameter. The next page then has three datapages deployed on it, each set up to receive the ID as the unique parameter and thus show data ONLY related to that ID. 

In our particular case, we have a database of volunteers called "elves" and each has a unique "Elf ID". The search and report page should allow us to search for a volunteer and then when we click on the html link set up, I want the next page to show that volunteer's contact information (a details report), contribution history (a tabular report), and their volunteer history (a details report). 

I did everything according to the tutorial and video. The search and results datapage is working fine, but when I click on the html link to go to the next page, it redirects me to the homepage of our website, not the correct url where the subsequent three datapages are deployed. I have checked and double checked the html code and it looks exactly like it should (and shows that it is passing the parameter - according to the url that comes up on the bottom of the screen when you hover over the link.) 

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? 

11 answers to this question

Hello gcbauer03,

Do you need "#!" after ".org" in the address?

As far as I know, "#" works only before the last part of the address and it is an "anchor".

And I have found in the article "Note that anything that comes after the # will not be passed to the server through GET parameters".

Could you try to write the address like:

<a href="http://www.oursite.org/families-details/c229?Family_Number=[@field:Family_Number#]">Details</a>

Thanks again Jan; however I don't see a checkbox option to "pass autonumber on exit" in the steps of the search and report wizard. I only am used to seeing that in a submission form wizard. I did include the words "insertrecord" in the parameter of the details reports that are supposed to be receiving the autonumber. Should that work? Is that possible to do? It seems like it should be, given that autonumbers are generally used as the unique IDs and therefore would be the only value that could be uniquely passed. 

Hello gcbauer03,

As far as I know, you can send autonumber as any other field from Search and Report DataPage.

Could you try to see what value is passed?

If your string is "Family_Number=[@field:Family_Number#]", please add an HTML code to the Search page, add an HTML block, click the "Source" button and enter

Parameter=[@Family_Number] End of parameter.

Then you can see, what is the value of your parameter. If it will be empty, you see "Parameter= End of parameter."

I tried your suggestion Jan and it appears to see the correct value. For example, I typed in "3" for the family number and it passed it as such to the search form. The resulting message was   Parameter=3 End of parameter

We are trying to look into a way to remove the #! from our website's url in case that is what is blocking the parameter from being passed. We use wix to produce our website and the url is automatically generated including the #!. Do you know how to remove that? 

Hello gcbauer03,

Wix says"Unfortunately this is not something we provide support on."

But you can:

• add Details page;
  • on the Details page, make any field editable (then the Update button appears);
  • on the Details page, on the Advanced tab, check "On exit: Pass field value as parameter" check box for your field;
  • add Auto-Submit script to the Details page;
  • on the Destination and Triggers page, select "Go to a new page" and enter the URL.

When a user clicks "View details", he/she sees "Processing..." and then she/he is redirected to your Details page on another web page.

I hope, it helps.