Customize a submission form

Isabelleg

Question

Hi,

I'm quite new in programing in JS.

In my table, i gather my clients, my management companies and my brokers.

I've created a submission form to add new entries.

But those 3 types of contacts don't need the same information :

Client need : name, address, type of interest

Management need : name

Broker need : name, email

(of course i have all those fields in my table)

but i would like to avoid creating a submission form for each, requesting the different info regarding the type.

I would like to have 1 submission form, where the first field is a dropdown menu to pick either a client, management or broker, (and at first there would be only this field to be displayed) then according to the first selection, the submission form will display the rest of the needed fields.

Can you provide me the javascript ?

i've checked in Caspio forum, but couldn't really find help.

thanks a lot

4 answers to this question

Hi,

I do not think this is a good idea to have one table to collect the data in your case. As you have mentioned, the data you collect for each type of user are different so the good design is to have them in separate table. If you store them all in one table you will end of having too many blank cells and later in report generations you might face with problems such as hiding blank columns or cells...

If you want to use this form only to collect data and you do not care about reporting part, then it is okay to use one web form but as you also know it requires customizations as Caspio forms do not have conditional field hide/show. The closest script I can see might help you is in this article http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips/creat ... tions.html but of course it still needs some modification if you want to hide and show based on the drop down selection.

There are more sample scripts that you can see for example how a drop down element is being called in Java Script, check the samples at viewforum.php?f=14

Cheers,

Barbara

HI I think I have an answer for this!  Create 1 submission form and disable and hide fields based on the top field(in your case Client Broker Management). 

If you wanted this inputed on 3 different tables based on what was chosen but collected on 1 form you would need 2 extra hidden forms that could auto submit and receive data from the 1st form!.. Just make the Broker and Management Fields Virtual Fields and Pass them to Form 2 which could be Broker.  On form 2 the Broker fields are real fields which the Management fields are Virtual which those would pass to the last form.  The last form once submitted could be a URL that says Submission Accepted.  IF you want the last form to confirm everything submitted on the 1st form, you would have to pass all fields into Virtual fields as well so that they would render on the last page.  Hope this helps

Hi there!

There are options on how you can execute this but for me, the best way is to create authentications for each role (Client, Manager, Broker). This is also recommended for security purposes. 

Here's one good sample application that may just suit your requirements: https://www.caspio.com/contact-management/

You can check out on how to create authentication on this link: https://howto.caspio.com/authentications-and-connections/authentication/

From there you can redirect the page according to there roles. Here's a link for that: https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/create-user-specific-redirect-after-login/

Hope this helps!:D:D