Pass Display Value of Dropdown as Parameter

ray

Question

5 answers to this question

On 11/8/2016 at 4:46 AM, ray said:

Hello. Apologies if this is addressed in another post. I want to pass the selected display value of a dropdown as a parameter for use in the header of another DataPage. How would I accomplish this?

Hello, you need to pass field value on exit, copy the parameter and paste it in the header of the second datapage.

For example: [@fieldname]

You may find more info here and here

Hope that helps

On 11/16/2016 at 4:46 AM, Mathilda said:

Hello, you need to pass field value on exit, copy the parameter and paste it in the header of the second datapage.

For example: [@fieldname]

You may find more info here and here

Hope that helps

Thank you for the reply. I should have explained that the dropdown I am working with lists values from a related table. I would like to know how to pass the display value of the dropdown as opposed to the (foreign Key) value stored in the dropdown.

On 11/7/2016 at 6:46 PM, ray said:

Hello. Apologies if this is addressed in another post. I want to pass the selected display value of a dropdown as a parameter for use in the header of another DataPage. How would I accomplish this?

You can add a virtual field and set it as Calculated Value. You can have a formula to get the Name or the Display Value depending on the ID selected in the dropdown.

Sample Formula:

SELECT (NAME) FROM TABLE WHERE ID=target.[@Field:ID]

Then, pass this virtual field as parameter. 

You can also hide this Virtual Field so it will not be visible in the form.

https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/

As mentioned above by @LittleMsGinger, the idea is to have a calculated value to convert the selected values from their actual value to their display value. However, take note that this will only work if you are coming from a form type of datapage (Submission, Single Record, Report Details) since these are the only page that has a virtual fields.