Duplicate Record Button (aka Copy)

Clint

Question

I'm creating an event management system and I need to be able to have our administrators make copies of events (not recurring, just duplicate the record in the events table - with a new unique ID of course).

Does anyone know of a way I can insert a copy button as a link in a Tabular datapage or a Single Record Update datapage?

Thanks so much!

Clint

5 answers to this question

On 4/7/2017 at 9:52 AM, Clint said:

I'm creating an event management system and I need to be able to have our administrators make copies of events (not recurring, just duplicate the record in the events table - with a new unique ID of course).

Does anyone know of a way I can insert a copy button as a link in a Tabular datapage or a Single Record Update datapage?

Thanks so much!

Clint

Hi Clint, 

Yes, it's possible. You need to create a submission form, deploy this form in an html block in your report and pass parameters to that form in query string. This way you may create a link or a button which will call a submission form. If you don't want to change data before submission, you may also add an auto submit script to submit datapage automatically.  

Thanks Mathilda - I completely get the query string method. However, we have about 100 parameters that would need to be passed. (out of my control unfortunately).

I can't seem to get the auto submit method to work, but I'll keep playing with that to make it work. (I think the problem is that my details html page, where I want to place the button, has multiple datapages deployed.)

Are there any other solutions that you're aware of?

On 4/10/2017 at 6:33 AM, Clint said:

Thanks Mathilda - I completely get the query string method. However, we have about 100 parameters that would need to be passed. (out of my control unfortunately).

I can't seem to get the auto submit method to work, but I'll keep playing with that to make it work. (I think the problem is that my details html page, where I want to place the button, has multiple datapages deployed.)

Are there any other solutions that you're aware of?

Yes, one more option is available. You may create a separate details datapage, make all fields to pass parameters and add an autosubmit script. Also create a submission form, add auto submit script and receive parameters in all the fields. In the destination after record update (in detail datapage) redirect to the submission form. Deploy the details datapage in html block on results page, you may find the similar solution here.

So the workflow will be like this: You hit the link, the details datpages opens, autosubmits itself, passes parameters and redirects to the submission form. The submission form receives parameters, autosubmits itself and inserts a new record to your table.

Hope that helps.