Automatic Email - Data Source Fields

Craigs

Question

I have an auto-generated email working on my datapage submission form.   The table that the form is drawing from is using the unique identifier (Employee_ID) to track the employee that is logging or entering the item in the form.    I would like for the employees name to be displayed on the e-mail, so the recipient knows who the email is coming from.     I see that I can choose from any data source field that is on the original table and insert that into the subject or into the body of the email.    The problem is that when I insert the only option that makes any sense (Employee_ID) the email is sent with the number rather than the employee name.     How can I get the email to display the name?   I have the same issue with the Job_ID.   I would like to also include the job name.

Notes: I've already created a relationship and stated to display the name rather than the ID.

Thanks!!!!

e-mail Field.docx

Update:  I was able to solve the employee ID by inserting a hidden virtual field into the page, and then entering that data source.     Since that came from the authentication table, it was available.   I'm still at a loss for how to insert the Job name in lieu of the Job_ID.

Edited by Craigs
Partially solved

3 answers to this question

On 4/26/2017 at 4:59 PM, Craigs said:

I have an auto-generated email working on my datapage submission form.   The table that the form is drawing from is using the unique identifier (Employee_ID) to track the employee that is logging or entering the item in the form.    I would like for the employees name to be displayed on the e-mail, so the recipient knows who the email is coming from.     I see that I can choose from any data source field that is on the original table and insert that into the subject or into the body of the email.    The problem is that when I insert the only option that makes any sense (Employee_ID) the email is sent with the number rather than the employee name.     How can I get the email to display the name?   I have the same issue with the Job_ID.   I would like to also include the job name.

Notes: I've already created a relationship and stated to display the name rather than the ID.

Thanks!!!!

e-mail Field.docx

Update:  I was able to solve the employee ID by inserting a hidden virtual field into the page, and then entering that data source.     Since that came from the authentication table, it was available.   I'm still at a loss for how to insert the Job name in lieu of the Job_ID.

Hi Craigs,

I suppose that you may add a virtual field and gen name of the job using cascading elements. If you don't want to display that field using display: none attribute, like in this article

Hope that helps

I'm not sure how the Cascading elements would help.    I have two tables that have a one to many relationship.    I have the setting to show job name on forms rather than the job number.   Everything works well on the form; however when I go to insert the job name into an e-mail it only shows the job number.    I'm assuming there is a way to send the job name, not the job number.    

Table Relationship .docx

On 5/2/2017 at 9:20 PM, Craigs said:

I'm not sure how the Cascading elements would help.    I have two tables that have a one to many relationship.    I have the setting to show job name on forms rather than the job number.   Everything works well on the form; however when I go to insert the job name into an e-mail it only shows the job number.    I'm assuming there is a way to send the job name, not the job number.    

Table Relationship .docx

Hi Craig,

Note that then you select a parameter in the email set-up it uses "value" and not display value.

I am afraid that you cannot reference "display value".

You need to have Virtual field with form element "Cascading TextField" selected. This element will filter the records in Job_Table by job number and pickup the job name.

Please use method like in this article if you do not want to display Virtual field on form.

Hope this helps.