How to access "password" fields via REST API

MattFL

Question

How can I authenticate user passwords against a "password" type field in a Caspio view via the REST API?  "Select" does not work with fields of type "Password" and I can't seem to figure out how to access the data. 

I'm writing a mobile application that uses the REST API to access our data via "views".  One of the fields is a "password" field, and I need to be able to compare the password that the user enters into my application with the password stored in the database.  I don't need to extract the password field, but I do need to know if the password entered by the user matches what's stored in the database.  Any tips on how to do this, or links to documentation, would be greatly appreciated. 

7 answers to this question

On 5/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, MattFL said:

How can I authenticate user passwords against a "password" type field in a Caspio view via the REST API?  "Select" does not work with fields of type "Password" and I can't seem to figure out how to access the data. 

I'm writing a mobile application that uses the REST API to access our data via "views".  One of the fields is a "password" field, and I need to be able to compare the password that the user enters into my application with the password stored in the database.  I don't need to extract the password field, but I do need to know if the password entered by the user matches what's stored in the database.  Any tips on how to do this, or links to documentation, would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi MattFL,

I guess that is a system security restriction which you will not be able to overcome.

http://howto.caspio.com/integration/web-services-api/rest-api/special-considerations/

You may try to authenticate the user based on another field type. 

Password fields are special data type fields that are meant for storing encrypted values. You cannot obtain the value stored in password fields. All requests that attempt to get their values via Select or in other ways such as in Criteria, cause an error. When all fields of a table or view are returned via “Select *” or empty field list, password fields are skipped.

Thanks for the reply.  That is the conclusion I came to myself as well, I was just hoping I had missed something.  Maybe in the future there will be a way to authenticate against the field at least.  Perhaps send a hash or a password and receive back a bool indicating a match,  etc...   

Thanks!