If..Then Statement in Submission Form

I need to create an alert on a submission form where,

If the drop down box PACKTYPE is = "Simple" then if text field SIMPLEUNIT not equal to 1

Else if PACKTYPE is = "Complex" then a second text field COMPLEXUNITS must be =<2 or greater than 1, which ever is easier.

I would like to include alert messages if possible. I am not sure how to write this. I am sure it is simple but I am not familiar enough and not in submission forms. I've only seen items for reports.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by lmooring

On 6/21/2017 at 8:53 AM, lmooring said:

I need to create an alert on a submission form where,

If the drop down box PACKTYPE is = "Simple" then if text field SIMPLEUNIT not equal to 1

Else if PACKTYPE is = "Complex" then a second text field COMPLEXUNITS must be =<2 or greater than 1, which ever is easier.

I would like to include alert messages if possible. I am not sure how to write this. I am sure it is simple but I am not familiar enough and not in submission forms. I've only seen items for reports.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi,

I'm afraid that the condition is not clear to me.

if  PACKTYPE is = "Simple"  then you need to check that  field SIMPLEUNIT not equal to 1 ? Does it mean that you allow all other values except 1?

if PACKTYPE is = "Complex" then you need to check that a value in the second text field COMPLEXUNITS is between 1 and 2, correct ?

So, you just need to validate (not assign) values in the SIMPLEUNIT  and COMPLEXUNITS fields. 

Hi, Sorry for the confusion. I retyped it several times before posting trying to make it clear.

I've reread the specs and discussed with the business owner. This is how I now understand it and yes, it is validation.

IF PACKTYPE = "SIMPLE"

THEN SIMPLEUNIT should be EQUAL to "1"

IF PACKTYPE = "COMPLEX"

THEN COMPLEXUNIT should be >= to "2"

15 hours ago, lmooring said:

Hi, Sorry for the confusion. I retyped it several times before posting trying to make it clear.

I've reread the specs and discussed with the business owner. This is how I now understand it and yes, it is validation.

IF PACKTYPE = "SIMPLE"

THEN SIMPLEUNIT should be EQUAL to "1"

IF PACKTYPE = "COMPLEX"

THEN COMPLEXUNIT should be >= to "2"

I also added a condition to check that fields are not blank. You need to use your field names instead of mine.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function check()
 {
var COMPLEXUNITS= parseFloat(document.getElementById("InsertRecordCOMPLEXUNITS").value);
var SIMPLEUNIT = parseFloat(document.getElementById("InsertRecordSIMPLEUNIT").value);
var PACKTYPE = document.getElementsByName("InsertRecordPacktype")[0].value;

if( PACKTYPE =='Simple' ) {
if (SIMPLEUNIT !=1 || typeof SIMPLEUNIT  == 'undefined' || !SIMPLEUNIT || SIMPLEUNIT.length  === 0 || SIMPLEUNIT  === "" || !/[^\s]/.test(SIMPLEUNIT) || /^\s*$/.test(SIMPLEUNIT) || SIMPLEUNIT.replace(/\s/g,"") === "" )
{
window.alert("Value in the SIMPLEUNIT field should be equal 1");
return false;
}
}
else if (PACKTYPE =='Complex'){

if ( COMPLEXUNITS <2 || typeof COMPLEXUNITS == 'undefined' || !COMPLEXUNITS  || COMPLEXUNITS.length  === 0 || COMPLEXUNITS  === "" || !/[^\s]/.test(COMPLEXUNITS ) || /^\s*$/.test(COMPLEXUNITS ) || COMPLEXUNITS .replace(/\s/g,"") === "")
{
 window.alert("Value in the COMPLEXUNITS field should be grater or equal  2");
return false;
}
}
}
 document.getElementById("caspioform").onsubmit=check;

</SCRIPT>

• 2 weeks later...