Taking first letter from field A and combining with field B to create Field C

rwoolf

Question

Is there a way to take the first letter from a FIRST_NAME field and combine it with the LAST_NAME field to create a new USER_NAME field?  If so, how? I have been searching for instructions on how to do this and cannot find anything. Any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

18 hours ago, rwoolf said:

Is there a way to take the first letter from a FIRST_NAME field and combine it with the LAST_NAME field to create a new USER_NAME field?  If so, how? I have been searching for instructions on how to do this and cannot find anything. Any suggestions?

Hi,

it can be done using sql substing query in the formula field: SUBSTRING ([@field:First_name] ,1 , 1)  + SUBSTRING ([@field:Last_name] ,1, 1)

However, in case of further using username field in authentication, this is not the best option since you can using only unique field as a username.

Therefore, you may insert the following script in the footer of your submission form.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function concatenate()
{
var position1 = document.getElementById("InsertRecordFirst_name").value;
var position2 = document.getElementById("InsertRecordLast_name").value;

document.getElementById("InsertRecordUsername").value = position1.substring(0, 1) + position2.substring(0, 1);

}

document.getElementById("caspioform").onsubmit=concatenate;
</SCRIPT>

On 7/11/2017 at 8:13 AM, Mathilda said:

It can be done using sql substing query in the formula field: SUBSTRING ([@field:First_name] ,1 , 1)  + SUBSTRING ([@field:Last_name] ,1, 1)

The above formula works if I want the first initial of both the first AND last names. However, how do I keep the FULL last name?

For example:   First_Name = Bob

Last_Name - Smith

User_name = BSmith