Multiple Parent Fields for Cascading Dropdown

DavidShugar

Question

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to have a cascading dropdown menu that is able to filter by multiple parent fields?

For example, I am working with records, each with their own "Name", that cover both "Sector" and "State". My goal is to have the record Names cascade by both the selected Sector and State. Currently, after the user selects "Sector", a cascading dropdown menu populates the available States available within that Sector. The available records Names also cascade by "Sector", but not by Sector and State. Thus the auto-populated records Names are shown across all States, not just the State and Sector together.

In an ideal world, I would like to filter the Names cascading autocomplete with more than two different parent fields. 

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Best,

David

3 answers to this question

On 8/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, DavidShugar said:

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to have a cascading dropdown menu that is able to filter by multiple parent fields?

For example, I am working with records, each with their own "Name", that cover both "Sector" and "State". My goal is to have the record Names cascade by both the selected Sector and State. Currently, after the user selects "Sector", a cascading dropdown menu populates the available States available within that Sector. The available records Names also cascade by "Sector", but not by Sector and State. Thus the auto-populated records Names are shown across all States, not just the State and Sector together.

In an ideal world, I would like to filter the Names cascading autocomplete with more than two different parent fields. 

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Best,

David

Hi David, 

As far as I know only one field can be set as parent. Why don't you want to have one more cascading step with State?

User selects Sector, then State and values in Name field will be filtered according to selections in those fields.

Hi David,

You can try creating a formula field that combines the value of @field1 and @field2  then use this field as search filter for your cascading element.  In your DataPage, add a virtual field with a value coming from the concatenate javascript suggested in the forums link below.