Passing from Datapage Report

jeffs88keys

Question

Hey guys....real rookie here, so any help appreciated.

I have a details report set up that is derived by using a passthrough external parameter.

From the details report, I would like to have a button to "Add a New Record" which will include the same passthrough parameter variable into a form.

How do I create the button (separate html code on my web page?) and how do I setup the passthrough parameter on the button?

Thanks !

4 answers to this question

Hello @jeffs88keys,

You are correct, please add the HTML block to add the custom button. Since you need a link that looks like a button you may use the following approach:

1) Add the HTML block on the "Configure Details Page Fields" screen, disable the HTML editor on the Advanced tab and paste the code for the link. Replace the URL inside the href attribute with the URL of your Submission form.  Add some CSS class for this link. It is  class="btn" in this example.

<a href="https://111111.caspio.com/dp/AppKey" class="btn">Add a new Record</a>

qRZVDmm.png

2) Add Header/Footer elements to the page and paste the styles to the Header section to style the link. Do not forget to disable the HTML editor before pasting it. You may add those CSS properties that you want here. 

For example:

<style>

.btn {
 padding: 10px 25px;
 background-color: #324a86;
 color: #ffffff !important; 
 text-decoration: none !important;
}

</style>

3) As a result I received the following button on the Details page:

FdIa3bm.png

@jeffs88keys,

As for the parameters, there are 2 ways to pass them:

1) Passing Parameters through Caspio Bridge https://howto.caspio.com/parameters/passing-parameters/ It is more secure, however, this method requires enabled browser cookies for the end-user.

2) Parameters as Query String Values https://howto.caspio.com/parameters/parameters-as-query-string-values/  Since data in the query strings is visible in the end-user’s address bar it is less secure but doesn`t depend on end-user browser settings.

For example, if you want to pass a parameter as a query string value, you may do the following:

1. Add the parameter to the link (in this example the id value is passed as a parameter)

oAKUye9.png

2. On the Submission form receive this parameter in the required field. To receive it use the parameter_name that was set in the link like this.

RiXhObt.png

If your workflow requires to set the field that received parameter as Hidden, then the settings are like these:

leSAtbG.png

Hope this helps.