Mapping: 'No results' brings up Lat 0, Long 0 map

jeffdillon

Question

In this searchable database -- http://www.signonsandiego.com/firemap/search.html -- when a user does a search that has no results, the results page shows \"No results,\" but the map defaults to Latitude 0, Longitude 0 -- just off the coast of Africa.

I have a default zoom level and home_position specified and when there are any matches the map defaults to them with no problem, it's just this \"no results\" outcome I can't figure out.

Here's my code:

Map it

Y

Y
[@field:streetnumber] [@field:streetname], [@field:City], CA [@field:Zip]

[@field:Notes]

Thanks for any help.

3 answers to this question

I run into this issue with just about every datapage I have that uses a map. The only way around it I've found is to force the user to enter *something* that will produce a result. And about the only way to do that is to give them nothing but dropdown lists or list boxes that always produces a search criterion.

However, I would like to see either a better workaround or an enhancement to Caspio that would produce a default map based on my criteria along with the \"No results found\" message.

If anyone has any ideas, I am eager to hear them.

caspio's mapping protocol uses a javascript file that's referenced in the embed code: http://bridge.caspio.net/scripts/caspio_mashupsv4.js

You can change some of the parameters by creating your own version of this caspio_mashupsv4.js file. Put the new file on your web server with your other cgi or javascript files.

Within that file, look for the setCenter command. You can also change the default error warning message.

My experience has been limited to Google maps, so I'm not sure about yahoo maps, if you're using that.

Of course, presumably if you create your own mashups js file you will not be privy to any updates to the code that Caspio may decide to make (since your version will be separate from theirs).

Hope all that makes sense.

Richard

The Times-Picayune

I run into this issue with just about every datapage I have that uses a map. The only way around it I've found is to force the user to enter *something* that will produce a result. And about the only way to do that is to give them nothing but dropdown lists or list boxes that always produces a search criterion.

However, I would like to see either a better workaround or an enhancement to Caspio that would produce a default map based on my criteria along with the "No results found" message.

If anyone has any ideas, I am eager to hear them.