How can I limit user to one use of a data entry form?

waltmayo

Question

7 answers to this question

Hey Walt,

I think you are trying to restrict the number of submissions from a single user. You can ask for user email address and make this field as a unique field in your table however user can put in another email address and submit so another solution is to validate user email by having them to check in the email account and click on verification link to have their post goes live. Here is an article about this http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips/tech- ... dress.html

If you want to restrict the submission based on user's IP address, add a text field in your table and for example call it IP and make is a unique field. Then in the submission form include this IP field and in the configure fields screen choose the form element as AutoValue and User IP Address. More information about form elements is available at http://help.caspio.com/questions/30/Form+Elements. However note that in this case if the IP Address is shared in a company between users then only one user in that company network can submit the form.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

I think in your case the IP Address Autovalue is the best solution but again as mentioned before in a company that IPs are shared only one person can vote.

Another solution is to write a Java Script which creates a generic cookie on user's computer and delete the cookie after certain time such as two hours. So user can not submit the form again in two hours but there is always workarounds for user such as clearing the browser cache! As you know cookie is browser specific so user also can switch browser from Firefox to IE, etc. and submit the form again.

There is no absolute solution for this but different ways as explained above to make it harder for user to re-submit the form.

Barbara

This is actually going to be an audience polling system for 1000+ people in an auditorium. All input will be via cell phone. (I guess a few laptops or iPads may give it a whirl).

Do smartphones all generate unique IP's..? With each call? I've obviously got an experiment to do.

Walt