How Can I "escape" Apostrophes In Javascript

Simple script... checks a field value... if not blank, it ".writes" the value to HTML... if it is blank, it uses the data from a different field. If the variable value has an apostrophe in it, the whole thing returns a blank string. It obviously breaks the code. There are many reference to this type of thing on the web, but NONE of the solutions I've tried have worked. Below is a sample, including code to escape the apostrophe with a "\" character. Doesn't work...  HELP!

<script>

var X='[@field:Event_Name_Override]';

var Y='[@field:Event_Name]';

X = X.replace(/\'/g, "");

Y = Y.replace(/\'/g, "");

if (X.length>1)

{

document.write(X);

}

else

{

document.write(Y);

}

</script>

• 2 weeks later...

Simple script... checks a field value... if not blank, it ".writes" the value to HTML... if it is blank, it uses the data from a different field. If the variable value has an apostrophe in it, the whole thing returns a blank string. It obviously breaks the code. There are many reference to this type of thing on the web, but NONE of the solutions I've tried have worked. Below is a sample, including code to escape the apostrophe with a "\" character. Doesn't work...  HELP!

If your data can contain and apostrophe and double quotes, you can write value to some hidden field in HTML block, and read value in script later. It is more right way, because it will work in both cases. But if you just want avoid "apostrophe issue", you can use variant offered above.

• 10 years later...