Updating A Unique Field

bookish

Question

Happy new year! Could someone help me in this script? I am trying to edit a unique field in an update form. It allows me to edit f I select a text field. But to prevent the user from making a mistake, i enclosed the field in 2 html blocks 

<table style="display:none;">

</table>

I place this script in the footer. It does show the right answer {(I tested using document.write(res)] and confirmation email is sent, but the unique field is not changed. 

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

var str = "[@field:combined_ID]"
var res = str.slice(0,16);
document.getElementById("InsertRecordcombined_ID").value = res;

</script>

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Hi everyone! I hope you can help me. The deprecation of the option to disable AJAX loading will affect this code that needed a table tag <table style="display:none;">. What would be my alternative so that I can still have no one see the combination created after every form submission.

var iID = document.getElementById("InsertRecordID").value;

var iACTIVITY_TYPE = document.getElementById("InsertRecordACTIVITY_TYPE").value;

var combined_ID = iID + iACTIVITY_TYPE;

document.getElementById("InsertRecordcombined_ID").value = combined_ID;

</SCRIPT>

On 1/9/2014 at 7:06 AM, MayMusic said:

If it is an update for you should change document.getElementById("InsertRecordcombined_ID").value = res; to document.getElementById("EditRecordcombined_ID").value = res;

On 1/2/2014 at 4:58 PM, bookish said:

Happy new year! Could someone help me in this script? I am trying to edit a unique field in an update form. It allows me to edit f I select a text field. But to prevent the user from making a mistake, i enclosed the field in 2 html blocks 

<table style="display:none;">

</table>

I place this script in the footer. It does show the right answer {(I tested using document.write(res)] and confirmation email is sent, but the unique field is not changed. 

var str = "[@field:combined_ID]"
var res = str.slice(0,16);
document.getElementById("InsertRecordcombined_ID").value = res;

</script>

Thanks in advance.

Hello @bookish,

My understanding of your workflow is the following:

- this is the Submission Form DataPage;

- the user populates the 'RecordID' and the 'ACTIVITY_TYPE' fields;

- the 'combined_ID' field should store the combination of those 2 values.

If this is correct, you can apply the easier solution. Instead of using JavaScript, you can utilize Calculated value.

For that, select the 'Calculated Value' Form element for the 'combined_ID' field and add the calculation you need.

ipFnqQA.png

When the Form element is 'Calculated value', on the Advanced tab there is an option to hide this field:

g6quGic.png

An example with the visible 'combined_ID' field to showcase the approach:

fdvd78Y.png

If the workflow is different, please provide more details about the DataPage type, and form elements of the fields involved in this workflow.