Print or PDF output of reports

cdutoit62

Question

I am aware of other posts in Ideabox where users have long since been requesting a way for non-corporate account members to be able to print out or output a PDF version of multipage reports.  I have been searching for a way of doing this & cannot find anything.  There may be a way of doing this using code but I am using Caspio primarily because I do not know code.  I suppose usability of Caspio without this feature may be OK for some but I cannot see any point without being able to print out all the captured data or at least mail PDF reports when needed.  The step up to Corporate account package is more than threefold.  This is a barrier to further development in my case.

22 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MayMusic said:

Refer to this post that is talking about a free third party that generates PDF: 

Thank you for the referral MayMusic.  I have seen this post & tried the two or three methods listed for PDF printing.  The pdfcrowd code doesn't work because the datapage is password protected.  The other codes shown work to some degree but are more for single page documents & we need a multipage solution.  The final result is also very rough, more like a screen capture printout than a proper PDF.  Maybe I am missing something but nothing on this post looks like it will offer what we need.  Your kind advice is appreciated nevertheless.

I have had quite a long discussion with Caspio support in this regard.  They have advised that at this stage our options are either to try to find an external code or PDF merge solution or upgrade to the performance package.  The other option is for Caspio projects to develop our PDF documents but the charges for this are considerable, ongoing & in our case unfeasible as we plan to have many PDF reports for various inspections/certifications etc.  We have looked at Webmerge as an alternative but this appears to be cumbersome & requires yet another service provider such as Zapier to push the data to the PDF generator.  Really stuck here.

No PDF/print functionality included in the Professional package at this stage. 

Hi,

I consider Caspio itself as a non coding app creator which is completly true. However, adding custom features outside the fact of creating a web aplication to collect, work  and share data are not part of a low code solution. I have seen node.js apps using Caspio to embed a database which may not sound consistent, given the fact that if they use node.js, it means that they have a sort of tech and code knowledge but still looking/complaining for custom integrations like API, PDF Creator, etc which does not make sense.

What I am trying to say is that, even when you consider the fees high, if you move your app out of Caspio, your costing and development fees would be way higher than paying someone to develop the feature you need or upgrading your account.

What that being said, I can recommend you the following options.

1. Consider Caspio development services. (Highly Secure)
  2. Find external devs to develop the PDF stuff (Low Risk, mainly due to there is small protection when dealing with Freelancers so only work with the ones that inspite confidence)
  3. Document, learn at least HTML and JavaScript and do it yourself (Free of cost for you but time investment may be considerable)

If I were you, I would rather learn myself even as it implicates a sacrifice, this way you can support and continously develop your app. Now, if you have no time or not willing to learn further coding, then you may need to reserve a budget for it.

With HTML, JavaScript and CSS, you can create the option to print your web page sections, adding page breaks, etc.

I know my comment does not give you a solution but it closes any false expectation you may have. 

PS: I do not work for Caspio and you are right, we would love to have an option like that out of the box with no third party services.

Regards.

There's a new feature in Caspio which you can find here: https://howto.caspio.com/release-notes/caspio-bridge-13-0/

This release includes a new feature of PDF Download option that allows you to download your displayed reports as a PDF File. You can also customize your PDF display settings such as header or footer, margins, page orientation and page break.

However, this feature is available in Performance and higher plans, but this can be an add-on to Professional plans.

Check this webinar for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-I_SPzPJ8

I hope this helps!

34 minutes ago, Meekeee said:

There's a new feature in Caspio which you can find here: https://howto.caspio.com/release-notes/caspio-bridge-13-0/

This release includes a new feature of PDF Download option that allows you to download your displayed reports as a PDF File. You can also customize your PDF display settings such as header or footer, margins, page orientation and page break.

However, this feature is available in Performance and higher plans, but this can be an add-on to Professional plans.

Check this webinar for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-I_SPzPJ8

I hope this helps!

On 6/17/2018 at 4:35 PM, cdutoit62 said:

I am aware of other posts in Ideabox where users have long since been requesting a way for non-corporate account members to be able to print out or output a PDF version of multipage reports.  I have been searching for a way of doing this & cannot find anything.  There may be a way of doing this using code but I am using Caspio primarily because I do not know code.  I suppose usability of Caspio without this feature may be OK for some but I cannot see any point without being able to print out all the captured data or at least mail PDF reports when needed.  The step up to Corporate account package is more than threefold.  This is a barrier to further development in my case.

The PDF HOLD and SAVE formats enable you to produce fully formatted PDF output (for example, headings, footings, and titles), correctly aligned on the physical pages. PDF format also supports StyleSheets that contain drill-down parameters and links to arbitrary URLs and embedded GIF images in report, page, and sort headings and footings.

2 hours ago, Meekeee said:

I hope this helps!

Thanks Meekeee

I had the add-on activated the moment it was announced.  I am VERY happy that Caspio made this updated functionality available & it has already made a huge improvement.  Much more user friendly also.

2 hours ago, cdutoit62 said:

Thanks Meekeee

I had the add-on activated the moment it was announced.  I am VERY happy that Caspio made this updated functionality available & it has already made a huge improvement.  Much more user friendly also.

Happy to help! I'm also amazed to these new improvements and I'm hoping for more enhancements and new features. Well done CASPIO!

16 minutes ago, joneslovescaspio said:

Hello, in my PDF settings from reports, is it possible if we can add a timestamp for every report that will be downloaded? 

Hello, yes you can! I found out this workaround while I was toying around with the PDF settings. You can actually go to the PDF settings from the DataPage and add the timestamp to either the header or the footer of the PDF by using the field picker. 

image.png

Just to add in the previous comment above, a new PDF download option is available for the details pages of Reports, Calendars, Combined Chart and Reports, Details and Pivot Table DataPages. The PDF configuration for details pages is similar to the existing options available on results pages.

Learn more about PDF reports generation.

Hi everyone! Just an update: Caspio has finally released a feature to show document generation, initially supporting custom PDF templates. You can upload your own fillable PDF file and map each field to a Caspio table.

It is available in R30 version: https://howto.caspio.com/release-notes/caspio-30-0/