Pass parameter from chart

rgiljohann

Question

Is there a way to pass a parameter after clicking on a chart? What I would like to do is filter one chart by clicking on another.

I know I can do this with a separate 'search' datapage, but I am looking to create more of a dashboard interface where you can click once and filter everything based on where you click. Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Hi,

Can you send a screenshot of what chart you want to click, and also what chart you want to be filtered out.

I think I understand what you wanted to do but I just wanted to verify. It's certainly possible to do with javascript or some HTML hacks.

However, in my opinion, a certain chart shouldn't be interacting with other charts as each must have their respective way of presenting data visually. What I would do instead is to have a separate UI for controlling the data fed into the reports (e.g. Submission Form, Group of Links, Links on a Report, etc.).

See this example dashboard from one of Caspio's release Demo's. 

image.png.a997c1a26adbb639e81804be7643492a.png

Hope this information helps.

If you wish to continue with what you want, just provide more details and maybe I can help.

Cheers,

DN31337

On 11/21/2018 at 3:05 AM, DefinitelyNot31337 said:

Hi,

Can you send a screenshot of what chart you want to click, and also what chart you want to be filtered out.

I think I understand what you wanted to do but I just wanted to verify. It's certainly possible to do with javascript or some HTML hacks.

However, in my opinion, a certain chart shouldn't be interacting with other charts as each must have their respective way of presenting data visually. What I would do instead is to have a separate UI for controlling the data fed into the reports (e.g. Submission Form, Group of Links, Links on a Report, etc.).

See this example dashboard from one of Caspio's release Demo's. 

image.png.a997c1a26adbb639e81804be7643492a.png

Hope this information helps.

If you wish to continue with what you want, just provide more details and maybe I can help.

Cheers,

DN31337

Thanks for your response. The UI route you suggested is what I know is out there and what I will probably have to do in the end. I wanted to see if there was another way through the charts alone first. Below is a screenshot, sorry about how small it is, all I have is my phone currently.

It is a good example of a situation where clicking on a chart to change everything would help a lot although there are many other examples.

It would be nice if you could click on the pie chart, for example the biggest piece of the pie, to filter the second graph by that category alone which shows the data over time.

I get a UI search would accomplish this, but part of the problem with it is the fact that the user has a hard time understanding which graphs filter what charts.

In the example below, my category search would only filter the second chart otherwise the pie would only be one color after the search...

That can get confusing for the user quickly. Again, thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20181128-154856.png