IvanV

Autosuggest limited to 10 entries

Question

I noticed the autosuggest function is limited to displaying 10 entries, although more entries may be available in a datapage, especially when autosuggest is used in combination with the "contain" parameter.

Is there anyway to remedy this?

22 answers to this question

Hi @IvanV,

To accomplish the workflow you need, you should do the following steps:
1. Export the datapage;
2. Open its XML file;
3. Add the attribute AutoCompleteResultsNumber="20" at the end of the <LookUp DataSourseName ... /> tag for the needed field, where 20 is the number of items in the autocomplete dropdown. Please see the screenshots below.
4. Save this XML file and import it back to the CaspioBridge

AutocompleteXML.png

AutocompleteXML_2.png

Dear Alison, 

You ever so kind, I wholeheartedly thank you!

Incidentally, in connection with this autocomplete problem, I was also troubled by the fact that autocomplete starts searching already with first character typed.

Is there any way to delay the autocomplete function, e.g. to the effect that it kicks in only after 3rd character typed?

Many thanks and best regards, 

Ivan

Hi @IvanV,

To make the autocomplete search from the third character, you should add AutoCompleteStartFromCharacter="3"  attribute  at the end of the <LookUp DataSourseName ... /> tag.
Also, you can use AutoCompleteEndAfterCharacter attribute to stop the search for the autocmplete and AutoCompleteStartDelay - to delay the dropdown.

Hope it helps.

Dear Alison, 

Apologies if I'm being intrusive again, but I've run across some more issues regarding autocomplete list. Both issues appear to be related  to mobile platforms, in particular  iOS, but am not quite sure they stem from Caspio.

Namely, iOS-specific issue seems to be the one in which my website's autocomplete list, when it starts appearing as it is being filled, somehow makes the screen zoom in.

Moreover, when my autocomplete list starts appearing as you fill it in and then you press anywhere on the screen (e.g. if you want to zoom out the screen), the list disappears. 

Many thanks in advance and best regards,  

Ivan

Hi Alison, 

Thanks for the kind reply and effort. 

Please find attached the screen recording indicating zooming issue.

Though the disappearing of the drop down/autocomplete list is much more frustrating. 

Subsequently I noticed that the disappearing act of the list also occurs in the desktop version of the website, i.e. is also triggered by any action, e.g. by clicking on the sidebar to move the webpage up or down.  This forces the users to type in the query again.

Best regards, 

Ivan 

Hi Alison, 

Thanks for the speedy reply. I tried to upload a  longer, i.e. more insighftul video, but file size restriction  in this forum appears to be only 2 MB.  Moreover, sending messages via this forum does not even offer the possibility of sending files, only links, so far as I have gathered. 

If you agree, I can send you a longer video via e-mail. 

Best regards, 

Ivan

Hi, 

I have uploaded it. 

The zoom issue may be attributable to the fact that browser automatically zooms in on a search field when you tap on it i.e. start typing in it. But, I doubt that is the case with the disappearing act of the dropdown list . 

Best regards, 

Ivan

Hi Alison, 

I've done some research and it really does seem that zoomin/scaling effect is attributable to browser and could be circumevented by changing font size to at least 16(px). 

The disappearing of the autocomplete list is still a mistery for me. 

Best regards, 

Ivan

Hi @IvanV,

Thank you for the video.

If the cursor is focused on other objects (click or tap somewhere) the autocomplete will dissapear. However, if you put the cursor in the field again and continue typing, the autocomplete will appear for the field. This is a correct behavior.

Hi Alison, 

Many thanks for the speedy reply.

Is there any method to circumvent this behavior, i.e. to make the autocomplete disappear only by e.g. deleting the contents of the search bar and not by mere tapping/clicking elsewhere on the screen?

Best regards, 

Ivan

Hello @Alison

I followed your XML instruction to expand a autocomplete list to 20, which worked perfectly, but now the autocomplete menu only seems to be providing results above the search field. Is there a way to make the autocomplete field only provide results below the autocomplete text area?

Best,

David

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 12.56.31 PM.png