Jump to content
  • 0

Test and Quiz development


jnordstrand
 Share

Question

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

jnordsrand,

I have created several apps successfully that score a test or quiz. Before the advent of calculated fields in update datapages, I had to rely on javascript to achieve this. But now with the recent Caspio release you can make use of the calculated values in virtual fields to calculate a score. Or you can score it directly in the table by creating formulas in your table that have case statements checking each answer and returning a count of 1 for Yes and 0 for No. Just string your case statement together to create a total score. I can explain in more detail if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, Carlson said:

jnordsrand,

I have created several apps successfully that score a test or quiz. Before the advent of calculated fields in update datapages, I had to rely on javascript to achieve this. But now with the recent Caspio release you can make use of the calculated values in virtual fields to calculate a score. Or you can score it directly in the table by creating formulas in your table that have case statements checking each answer and returning a count of 1 for Yes and 0 for No. Just string your case statement together to create a total score. I can explain in more detail if needed.

Hi Carlson,

 

Please explain your quiz set up for me.  How are the quizzes created?  Forms?  Is each quiz a separate data page?  I am very much looking forward to seeing what you have done. Is this something you can sell to me or explain how to do. 

 

Thank you very much.

 

Jeff

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, smsnyus1 said:

Hello Jnordstrand,  Did you ever get the quiz app setup, if so can you send me any tips on how you did it.  I'm trying to setup one as well and seems harder than I thought it would be.  Thanks for any help.

Are you creating a short quiz/test ? Generally, for quiz form, you will have to create one field in your table for each question so you may store the answer individually.

If you have 10 questions, that will translate to 10 fields in a table (i.e question1-10)

Then on your form, you can use Text Fields or Radio Buttons depending on what type of test it is. I will not recommend multiple answers in one question (i.e. A, B) as that you may encounter issues. What you can do for that is use one option (i.e. D.) Both A and B))

 

If you want to reveal their test results after they submit, you can do so using a Details Page DataPage.

Using Calculated Values you can set that if it's not the correct answer, it will show 'incorrect' . For Calculated Values, you may check this HowTo Article: https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/datapage-components/calculated-values/

and for the conditional formula you may refer to the Case Function under  MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS AND EXPRESSIONS section of this How to Article:

https://howto.caspio.com/function-reference/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi @smsnyus1, this is a very good workflow. What I would like to suggest is to create a submission form, then your choices should be a radio button(you can simply use a text(255) field). Then in creating reports, you may use a formula field in your table or a calculated field in your DataPage/s with CASE WHEN  condition. For example:

CASE WHEN [@field:Answer1] = 'A' THEN 'CORRECT'

WHEN [@field:Answer2] = 'B' THEN 'CORRECT'

WHEN [@field:Answer3] = 'C' THEN 'CORRECT'

ELSE 'WRONG'

END

You may try that in your end if that works for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I am also interested in creating a Quiz with 10 multiple choice questions and once User sumits answers, the correct answers are displayed and total grade is informed.

Can anyone help with the Table structure and Relationships?  I am stuck on this first step...

Actually I need about 15 such Quizzes. 

Thanks
Karl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, karljohnsson said:

I am also interested in creating a Quiz with 10 multiple choice questions and once User sumits answers, the correct answers are displayed and total grade is informed.

Can anyone help with the Table structure and Relationships?  I am stuck on this first step...

Actually I need about 15 such Quizzes. 

Thanks
Karl

The way I did it:

Make a table called Quiz_Table. Put in fields to record the user and the date. Next, add in as many 'Integer' fields as you want to have questions on your quiz. If there are 20 questions per quiz, add 20 of these fields. I just named mine Q1-Q20. Add a formula field to the table, for the formula you'll need to add together all quiz questions and divide that by the number of quiz questions to get your score. Finally, add a 'Quiz_Number' field, this will tell you which quiz the user took.

Now, create a Form datapage. Use the Quiz_Table as the datasource. Add the Quiz Question fields to the form. Type the actual question in the Label of the question field. Set the question fields to 'Radio Buttons'. Add your multiple choices as the options below. For all of the wrong answers, make the value 0. For correct answer, make the value 1. This will make it so if they get the question correct, the value will be 1. If wrong, 0. This plays into the Formula field in the table to calculate score. Then, add in the Quiz_Number field, go to Advanced tab, and check 'On Load, receive default value' and type in a number, and hide the field. This number will be different for each quiz you create, so you can tell in the table which user took which quiz. 

Now you can duplicate this form datapage and change the questions for all 13 quizzes you need to make, and give them each a different Quiz_Number. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 hours ago, kpcollier said:

The way I did it:

Make a table called Quiz_Table. Put in fields to record the user and the date. Next, add in as many 'Integer' fields as you want to have questions on your quiz. If there are 20 questions per quiz, add 20 of these fields. I just named mine Q1-Q20. Add a formula field to the table, for the formula you'll need to add together all quiz questions and divide that by the number of quiz questions to get your score. Finally, add a 'Quiz_Number' field, this will tell you which quiz the user took.

Now, create a Form datapage. Use the Quiz_Table as the datasource. Add the Quiz Question fields to the form. Type the actual question in the Label of the question field. Set the question fields to 'Radio Buttons'. Add your multiple choices as the options below. For all of the wrong answers, make the value 0. For correct answer, make the value 1. This will make it so if they get the question correct, the value will be 1. If wrong, 0. This plays into the Formula field in the table to calculate score. Then, add in the Quiz_Number field, go to Advanced tab, and check 'On Load, receive default value' and type in a number, and hide the field. This number will be different for each quiz you create, so you can tell in the table which user took which quiz. 

Now you can duplicate this form datapage and change the questions for all 13 quizzes you need to make, and give them each a different Quiz_Number. 

 

Thanks! Sounds good !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...