submission form. send email to different users depending on the value of a certain field in the submission form.

NiceDuck

Question

Hello

I want to share something with you guys again. 

Back then when I only have an 'explore plan', I'm using this workflow to send acknowledgement/notification emails on different persons base on a value of a field in my submission form.

My workflow back then is I have a submission form for job applicants.  I want to send an email to a certain member of my company depending on which position the applicant is app laying.  for example.

If the applicant is applying for a staff position, there will be an email an email send to staff manager, 

If the applicant is applying for an agent position, there will be an email an email send to agent manager. 

etc...

This could easily be done via trigger but since it was unavailable on explore plans. This is what I did. 

First I made a lookup table containing the emails of the designated managers where I used the job they are managing as a unique field. 

Then on my submission form. I made a virutal field and  set it as a cascading dropdown that is using the field for the position the user is applying for as a parent field and used the table containing the emails of the managers as a lookup table. I enveloped this virtual field with html blocks with html codes for hiding fields. please see this documentation for reference https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/ and https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/datapage-components/cascading-elements/ .

Now that it was hidden, we will now proceed to the messaging options.  It is up to you to chose  if you want an Notification emails or Acknowledgement emails. As I check It works with any of them as long as you are going to use the virtual field with cascading value as the field reference for email. 

It will now send an email on different person depending on what job the user is applying to.

I hope it helps anyone. Also please comment if you have a better idea.

Quack

1 answer to this question

Hello,

You may also use this method if you want to redirect your users into different website depending on their input. 

On your look-up table, record the URL of the pages where you want to redirect. Then on the end of your submission form wizard, 'Web Form Wizard - Destination and Messaging' at 'Destination Options' tab, select "Goto a new page" then use your field picker to insert the virtual field. 

It has a bit similar workflow with this howto document. However, with this one,  the redirection page will automatically change base on the users input since it uses a cascading dropdown instead of regular dropdown.

hope it helps.

Quack