One-time bulk update, based on a lookup

JohnM

Question

I want to perform a one-time bulk update on a table that has many fields, one of which is an ID number and another a date-time. A second table, serving as a temporary lookup, has just two fields, an ID number and a date-time.

The task is to update any blank date-time fields in the first table using data-time values from the second, where the ID numbers are the same.

I could write a SQL UPDATE statement using a join on ID, but where would I enter this SQL statement? Is there SQL shell access into the database?

Or is there a way to do this in TABLE DESIGN? Unfortunately, there is not a way to join to another table in a calculated field. Right?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

On 10/22/2022 at 2:36 PM, JohnM said:

I want to perform a one-time bulk update on a table that has many fields, one of which is an ID number and another a date-time. A second table, serving as a temporary lookup, has just two fields, an ID number and a date-time.

The task is to update any blank date-time fields in the first table using data-time values from the second, where the ID numbers are the same.

I could write a SQL UPDATE statement using a join on ID, but where would I enter this SQL statement? Is there SQL shell access into the database?

Or is there a way to do this in TABLE DESIGN? Unfortunately, there is not a way to join to another table in a calculated field. Right?

Thanks!

Hello @JohnM!

You can use Application Tasks to update multiple records at the same time. Tasks are operations that you can create in your application and run them manually or automatically based on a predefined schedule. Tasks are ideal when you want to batch process large volumes of data.

Screenshot_118.png

For more details, you can refer to this article:

https://howto.caspio.com/tasks/

Hope this helps!

Ooh, that is just what I need . . .

But on this application, I have just the $150/mo plan and it does not include Tasks. 

Sigh.

Do you know if a table can be safely exported, altered, and re-imported? Would that mess up the auto-generation of unique keys (or anything else)?