concatenate two formula fields

C8amf986

Question

I have two fields that are formula fields (one requiring 4 characters, the other requiring 3 characters). I want to concatenate them in a 3rd field, but they do not show up in the dropdown options when creating the formula. Is there a better way to do this?

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, C8amf986 said:

I have two fields that are formula fields (one requiring 4 characters, the other requiring 3 characters). I want to concatenate them in a 3rd field, but they do not show up in the dropdown options when creating the formula. Is there a better way to do this?

Hello @C8amf986,

Unfortunately, you cannot call a Formula Field in another Formula field. You can copy the formula from the two Formula Fields and put them together in the 3rd field.

Hope this helps.

On 5/30/2024 at 11:52 PM, C8amf986 said:

Want to combine formula fields but they're not showing up? Two options:

1. Check for Concatenation Formula: Does your platform allow formulas within formulas (e.g., Salesforce uses "&")?

2. Use Text Function: Convert formula fields to text first (e.g., Salesforce uses TEXT()).

Let me know your platform for specifics!

On 5/30/2024 at 11:52 PM, C8amf986 said:

To concatenate two formula fields that don't appear in the dropdown options for a third field, create intermediate text fields and use workflows or scripts to populate them with the formula field results. Then, create a third field that concatenates the values of the intermediate text fields.

For Salesforce, create two custom text fields to store the formula results, use a Workflow Rule or Process Builder to update them, and then create a concatenation formula field.

For Airtable, create two formula fields to extract the required characters, and then create a concatenation formula field using these intermediate fields.

If these solutions aren't suitable, consider using scripts or APIs to handle the concatenation externally, or export and re-import the data for manipulation in a spreadsheet.

By employing these methods, you can effectively concatenate formula field values even when direct concatenation isn't possible within the platform's interface.