Table relationships and architecture (need some help please!)

serialle

Question

Dear team,

I have a table with students, with specific data like name, email, address, etc. and, besides that, I really need to keep on track their evaluations (grades) from previous years to get instantaneously when needed.

I would like to get the following results in "details" pages:

School Year 2018-2019 (and grades from all subjects)

School Year 2019-2020 (and grades from all subjects), etc.

The cream of la cream would be to be able of filter by a specific year. Am I aiming fro something not possible?

I am sorry if I was not very clear!

Thanks in advance! 

Cheers,

Sérgio

1 answer to this question

Hi. I have two workaround that I can suggest for this workflow. One is you can have a year field in your table together with the student information and their grades then use that table as your Data source in your Details DataPage. You can have a Search filtering in your Details DataPage so that you can search it by year or any fields that you would like to use as a filtering to arrive with your desired result.

The other workaround would be if you are using two tables. You can connect the two tables (i,e Student _Information table and the Student_Grades table which contains the Grade and year) using Relationships like StudentID from the main table would be the foreign key to the other table(The StudentID would be the connecting field between the two tables). After, create a view to join the two tables and use that View as your Data source in your Details DataPage. Same as in the first workaround, you can have a Search filtering in your Details DataPage so that you can search it by year or any fields that you would like to use as a filtering..

I hope that helps.