Prefix for views used in calculations: 'v_MyView' or 'vMyView'?

KG360

Question

The Caspio 'howto' say I should add the prefix '_v_' before the view title. I have used 'v_MyView', 'vMyView', but am still unsure of which the correct prefix. The '_v_' is a bit ambiguous to me. Or, does it not matter if there is a 'v' as the first character? Can anyone give me a hint please?

G

4 answers to this question

Hello @Gunnar360c,

I hope that I got your question correctly. 

You may name your Views as you like. 

But when you need to select values from a View and write a query, then always refer to the View as _v_YourViewName.

You may find this information in this article https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/advanced-reporting/calculations-in-forms-and-reports/

oFNu7kW.png

For example: The View name is Customers.

SELECT Description FROM _v_Customers WHERE CustomerID=target.[@field:CustomerID]

If it is not the case, please reply in this thread so we can discuss it further. 

34 minutes ago, CoopperBackpack said:

Hello @Gunnar360c,

I hope that I got your question correctly. 

You may name your Views as you like. 

But when you need to select values from a View and write a query, then always refer to the View as _v_YourViewName.

You may find this information in this article https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/advanced-reporting/calculations-in-forms-and-reports/

oFNu7kW.png

For example: The View name is Customers.

SELECT Description FROM _v_Customers WHERE CustomerID=target.[@field:CustomerID]

If it is not the case, please reply in this thread so we can discuss it further. 

Many thanks @CoopperBackpack – very enlightening! I honestly thought I would need to name the view with that prefix :) Now it's clear though, and I will rename my views back (without the prefix) and may become more successful ussing views in my calculations. It was the text 'add prefix_v_ to the View name' that got me on the wrong course here ... I will get cracking trying it out right away!

Many thanks again!

@Gunnar360c,

I am glad if my explanation made it clearer. 

Please note that if you rename Tables/Views/Field Names you need to rename them in the formulas manually

Let`s say I use the same statement in Calculated Field: 

Then I decided to rename the View name (Customers -> Customers_View) and the Field Name (Description -> Overview).

My next step is to go to the DataPage -> Calculated Field -> change the statement

SELECT Overview FROM _v_Customers_View WHERE CustomerID=target.[@field:CustomerID]

9 minutes ago, CoopperBackpack said:

@Gunnar360c,

I am glad if my explanation made it clearer. 

Please note that if you rename Tables/Views/Field Names you need to rename them in the formulas manually

Let`s say I use the same statement in Calculated Field: 

Then I decided to rename the View name (Customers -> Customers_View) and the Field Name (Description -> Overview).

My next step is to go to the DataPage -> Calculated Field -> change the statement

SELECT Overview FROM _v_Customers_View WHERE CustomerID=target.[@field:CustomerID]

@CoopperBackpack – thank you for making sure I got that! I might have to just endure my naming convention for views, they start with vw_MyView (and tables tbl_Something) as a way easily see the nature of the datasource, old habits I suppose. This means that I would need to write _v_vw_MyView in SELECT statements... looks bad but just an inconvenience. Just to add, most of my SELECT statements pick data from tables anyway.Thanks!!!