Sorting data in a View OR Sorting results of a DataPage

allansheth

Question

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with this...

I am trying to figure out how to sort results in a View. I don't see this option in the wizard and can't understand why this option is not provided because it seems a pretty basic and common task in DB development.

The reason I need the above functionallity is because I need to sort the results in a Datapage using one or more fields that are not displayed...again a pretty basic need or common occurance in DB development.

What I am doing is displaying the results of a datapage in a HTML block because it provides me with much better formatting control (along with CSS styles) than the standard wizard-driven output. But doing it this way the fields are not selected for display, and thus not available for sorting in the wizard.

I'm not averse to modifying the XML (View or Datapage) but don't know what to modify or if that's even possible...I also thought about discarding the HTML block and using CSS to control the display of the wizard-driven results but not sure if I can acheive that with my limited CSS skills & knowledge.

2 answers to this question

Hi Allan,

Caspio does not have the sorting feature in the View setup rather it enables users to set the sort order in the DataPage wizard however you are right if you have the results fields in HTML block you can not choose them in the sort order dropdowns. The solution would be to add that field as a regular field to the results page then hide it with Java Script programming.

What is the the layout format of your results page? Tabular, Grid, List?

Depending on each format the Java Script could be different so I would suggest you to ask Caspio Professional Service department to develop the Java Script for your purpose.

By the way we add this to the new feature request list to be considered in future releases.

Mason

I am using tables to format my output via the HTML block. I have an issue with as well because I have to create a table for each record instead of creating one table and having the records in the rows.

I guess what I'm saying is I can't figure-out how to create the

tag. However this is secondary to my initial question.