Caspio drops support for Linux

beaverq

Question

In the middle of a project, on Monday morning I suddenly was unable to log into the Caspio Bridge from my Linux box, which had been working fine up to that point.

The Caspio compatibility page (http://www.caspio.com/login/systemcompatibility/) says:

Supported Browsers

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher

* Firefox 2.0 or higher

* Safari 3.1 or higher

* Linux/Unix browsers based on Gecko v.1.8.1 or higher.

It still says that this morning. However late Monday I received word from Caspio that they had dropped support for Linux browsers, supposedly because they hadn't passed their "Quality Assurance tests." This was probably part of the "upgrade" they announced in the mailing that came out late Tuesday, "Resolved Caspio Bridge Performance Issue."

Since Caspio hasn't deigned to notify the Linux world of this change, maybe this post can save others from losing a full day's work figuring out what the heck is going on. Whether you choose to find a Windows box to work on or find a more compatible DB host is up to you. My lost day included long phone and instant chat conversations with Caspio support people who apparently had no clue that this change in support was why I could no longer log into Caspio.

1 answer to this question