Creating a "tag a user" capability in a notes text field

MacCaspio

Question

Hi Caspio Community!

I have the need to create a "tag a user" capability within a datapage and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this before to give me some direction.

The spec includes the ability to tag a user in a notes field on a record using "@username" followed by a comment directed to that user.  From there the system would need to email the user that they have been tagged for that particular item.  Similar to many aps of the 2020's.  Tag a user in the notes....actually, as I was writing this, I realized this forum has the capability I'm seeking.  Just type the @ sign anywhere in text and it will bring up a list of users to tag in any forum post.  Would love to have the same capability for my app.

Anyone have any experience putting this together?

5 answers to this question

This sounds like an interesting feature and I was curious so I asked chatGPT.  I didn't continue asking for the code because its not something I need right now, but thought I'd paste the high level guidance. If you do code this and get the functionality working, I'd love to see what you did.

To add the capability for a user to tag a comment in a notes field in Caspio and then send an email to the tagged user with the comment, you can follow these steps:

1. Set up the Notes Field:

• In Caspio, create a table with a notes field where users can enter their comments.
    • Add an additional field to store the tagged user's email address.
  2. Modify the Notes Field to Include Tagging:

• Use a Rich Text Editor or a Text Area with HTML support for the notes field.
    • Implement a tagging system where users can mention other users by typing "@" followed by their username or email address. This can be achieved by using JavaScript and HTML/CSS.
  3. Capture the Tagged User's Email:

• Implement JavaScript functionality to detect when a user is mentioned/tagged in the notes field.
    • Extract the tagged user's email address from the database or from a user list, based on the username provided.
    • Store the email address in the additional field you created in step 1.
  4. Submit the Form:

• When the form is submitted, store the comments and the tagged user's email address in the Caspio table.
  5. Send Email Notifications:

• Utilize Caspio's Email Notifications feature or an external email service (e.g., SMTP, API) to send email notifications.
    • Configure the email notification to be triggered whenever a new entry is submitted.
    • Customize the email content to include the comment and other relevant details.
    • Use the tagged user's email address stored in the table to send the notification specifically to them.

58 minutes ago, Jodie said:

This sounds like an interesting feature and I was curious so I asked chatGPT.  I didn't continue asking for the code because its not something I need right now, but thought I'd paste the high level guidance. If you do code this and get the functionality working, I'd love to see what you did.

To add the capability for a user to tag a comment in a notes field in Caspio and then send an email to the tagged user with the comment, you can follow these steps:

1. Set up the Notes Field:

• In Caspio, create a table with a notes field where users can enter their comments.
    • Add an additional field to store the tagged user's email address.
  2. Modify the Notes Field to Include Tagging:

• Use a Rich Text Editor or a Text Area with HTML support for the notes field.
    • Implement a tagging system where users can mention other users by typing "@" followed by their username or email address. This can be achieved by using JavaScript and HTML/CSS.
  3. Capture the Tagged User's Email:

• Implement JavaScript functionality to detect when a user is mentioned/tagged in the notes field.
    • Extract the tagged user's email address from the database or from a user list, based on the username provided.
    • Store the email address in the additional field you created in step 1.
  4. Submit the Form:

• When the form is submitted, store the comments and the tagged user's email address in the Caspio table.
  5. Send Email Notifications:

• Utilize Caspio's Email Notifications feature or an external email service (e.g., SMTP, API) to send email notifications.
    • Configure the email notification to be triggered whenever a new entry is submitted.
    • Customize the email content to include the comment and other relevant details.
    • Use the tagged user's email address stored in the table to send the notification specifically to them.

Thanks Jodie.  That's some reasonable general guidance.  A lot to do from there, but maybe I can figure it out!  I'll report back if I go after it this way!