Creating automatic increment field

AdeleHall

Question

I appreciate Caspio provides a unique number/id field but I am looking to import a database which already has about 1,000 records and all have an internal reference with an alpha prefix and they are then numbered sequentially (i.e. the previous submission + 1) with a maximum of 5 digits as its suffix. Is this possible to replicate in Caspio using Java or whatever or would I have to have the 8 digit (I think none sequential) option already offered in the datapages?

1 answer to this question

I think I have sussed this out - create auto numbering field at table design stage and pass through as a parameter in data submission page so can be appended to a predefined prefix in another field. I have not tested on my database I propose importing which has about 1,000 records already numbered and prefixed so will strip out prefix in Excel, import and hope it will let me use existing numbers if convert it to auto number field? Fingers crossed.