Newb : Creating Relationships

SamMoore

Question

Lets say I have a table Cars and a second Table Colour

I want one of the Fields in Cars to be CarColour, created by a dropdown being the contents of table Colour

One car could only be one colour

ie CarID=1 CarTitle="Freds Car" CarColour="red"

where "red" is a ColorTitle from Table Colour

This seems the basic functionality of creating a Database yet I cant work out how to do it

(I know MSAccess and would do it using Lookup wizard in the Table design Form)

Links, Tuorials ?

Thanks

S

2 answers to this question

Hi,

If you are trying to input data in the table and looking for a dropdown functionality, this is doable in a submission webform where your web form data source is the table and you can configure the form fields as dropdown looking up a table, pick the option from the dropdown and submit new record in the table. Form element in the form could be dropdown and the datasource of the dropdown could be a lookup table.

If you want to do this in the table directly then relationship should be defined and in this case the problem is that the ID which is used in the join will be inserted in the table but it seems you need the name not the ID. The first method is recommended but if you want to keep the second way then to display the name in the form you will need to use a View as the datasource of your dropdown rather than the table.

Best,

Bahar M.