Place draft text from other field in data source in T64000 field for user to modify 

KG360

Question

I'd like to pre-populate T64000 fields with suggested text from the data source (in a submission form) that the user can modify to their liking. 

Any hint on how to accomplish this is appreciated!

/KG

2 answers to this question

Hello @KG360,

As far as I understood, you want to retrieve the text stored in the table and it depends on the value(s) populated by the user.

If this is correct, I can suggest the following:

1) Add a Virtual field that is set as a Calculated value to get the text from the table. This Virtual field can be hidden by checking the 'Hide field' checkbox on the Advanced tab.

For example:

SELECT Comment FROM table_222 WHERE ID = target.[@field:User_ID]

2) Add the code in the Footer (disable the HTML editor before pasting the code).

In this example, I use the Virtual 1 field and the 'Comment' field. Please use corresponding names.

<script>
document.addEventListener('DataPageReady', copyTextHandler)

function copyTextHandler(){

const virtualField = document.querySelector('input[id*="cbParamVirtual1"]'); //replace the Virtual field number if needed
    const textField = document.querySelector('[id*="InsertRecordComment"]'); //use your field name

virtualField.addEventListener("change", (event) => {
         let calcValue = event.target.value;
         if(calcValue !=="") {
            textField.value = calcValue;
        }
    })  
     document.removeEventListener('DataPageReady', copyTextHandler);
}

</script>

This is the DataPage example. The text retrieved by the Calculated value is copied to the 'Comment' field by JavaScript. The 'Comment' field is set as a Text Area.

EbdbFDX.png

4 hours ago, CoopperBackpack said:

Hello @KG360,

As far as I understood, you want to retrieve the text stored in the table and it depends on the value(s) populated by the user.

If this is correct, I can suggest the following:

1) Add a Virtual field that is set as a Calculated value to get the text from the table. This Virtual field can be hidden by checking the 'Hide field' checkbox on the Advanced tab.

For example:

SELECT Comment FROM table_222 WHERE ID = target.[@field:User_ID]

2) Add the code in the Footer (disable the HTML editor before pasting the code).

In this example, I use the Virtual 1 field and the 'Comment' field. Please use corresponding names.

<script>
document.addEventListener('DataPageReady', copyTextHandler)

function copyTextHandler(){

const virtualField = document.querySelector('input[id*="cbParamVirtual1"]'); //replace the Virtual field number if needed
    const textField = document.querySelector('[id*="InsertRecordComment"]'); //use your field name

virtualField.addEventListener("change", (event) => {
         let calcValue = event.target.value;
         if(calcValue !=="") {
            textField.value = calcValue;
        }
    })  
     document.removeEventListener('DataPageReady', copyTextHandler);
}

</script>

This is the DataPage example. The text retrieved by the Calculated value is copied to the 'Comment' field by JavaScript. The 'Comment' field is set as a Text Area.

EbdbFDX.png

Magnificent, thank you @CoopperBackpack !! This works beautifully. I wish I had asked this sooner. With my previously limited knowledge, I presented the proposed template text and ask the user to copy and paste it and then change it to their liking. This solution is far more elegant! Thanks!