Displaying data that has a many to many relationship in a Data Page

KenWi

Question

Hello Caspio users,

I seem to have an issue with Data Views and Many to Many relationships.

In the example of Teachers, Students and Classes I want to be able to list multiple entries of the many to many relationship in a single data page cell.

So if I make a view that lists all students by class, and the class has multiple teachers, I want the teachers Concatenated in a cell rather than listing a number of records for teacher A and a number of records for Teacher B.

Given Tables

Student

Student_ID

Student Name

Teacher

Teacher_ID

Teacher Name

Class

Class_ID

Teacher_ID

Student_ID

How would I tell the data page to create a line with All of the teachers, then list by student?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Please Advise,

Ken

1 answer to this question

Hello KenWi,

The table structure looks fine to me, since it is a many-to-many, you will always have the same teacher on multiple records. I think that you are trying to achieve something on the backend (Tables, Views) that should be configured on the frontend(DataPage).

Instead of trying to create such a View that has the "list" of Teachers (not sure if I have understood it correctly), you could use that View to create a Pivot table or a Report DataPage that groups the records based on the Teacher.

Check this how-to as it might solve what you are trying to achieve: https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/advanced-reporting/data-grouping/

Or maybe, a Pivot table: https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/pivot-table/