Creating a Website Widget

maverick

Question

I'm trying to create a website widget which my customers can deploy on their website. The widget will display the price and date it (the price) was updated and will have a link to my website to place an order.

Since the "Search and Report" datapage code has to be deployed directly on the customer's website, the datapage can't accept "customer_id" as a query parameter. Instead the datapage needs to have "customer_id" hard-coded in it - which means that I will need 1 datapage per customer.

This problem would be easily solved if there's a way to pass in a query parameter directly to the deployment code - does anybody know how to do this?

Is there a better way of doing this - completely different approach from what I am taking?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 answers to this question

The information you can relay on a personal website, however, is unlimited.How to Create a Personal Website on WordPress

You don't have to be a savvy webmaster to construct your own website. Blogging tools have made it easier for every-day Internet users to build their own sites, for personal and professional purposes.

Set up an account on WordPress. Getting started couldn't be easier. Just sign up for an account on WordPress.

Choose a theme. Under "Appearance," you can choose a theme for your website. WordPress offers a ton of nice themes for free,

Create pages for your content. Under the "Pages" section, create a page for each section of your website.

Decide if you want your website to be a blog. By definition, WordPress is a blogging site. If you have the time to maintain a blog, you can keep the main page of your WordPress account as a blog,

Link to your website from your other online profiles. Once your website is done, make sure you proofread all of your pages. When you're sure it's pristine, you can link to your website from your Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn so you're sure that employers can access it.

Thanks for your response ellishgibbons.

I guess you are right, in a strictly purist sense a widget is a client side application which collects and displays data from different sources. Along those lines, I can't call what I'm trying to create a "widget".

All I want to do is simply display customer specific data (price & date) on their webpage. Typically this could be accomplished with a "Search and Report" datapage if I could pass in the "customer_id" as a query parameter and the datapage was setup to accept that input. But since the datapage deployment code will simply be pasted on the customer website, I cant use the query parameter - instead it has to be hard-coded. Therein lies the problem..

Can someone please provide guidance.