How is data transfer calculated?

yeeurch

Question

I am trying to find out how data transfer is calculated when using Caspio Bridge.

This is my second month using Caspio (I'm still developing my Apps). I have been constantly reloading/refreshing a separate web browser as I make changes within Caspio Bridge. This is really eating into my maximum data transfer!

If I just use the Caspio Bridge window to inspect my changes (as annoying and clunky as it is) to review changes...are these data transfers charged to my account?

Does anyone have any additional advice on how to develop my apps (and review them) without eating into my data transfer limits?

Thanks!

Brian

5 answers to this question

Hello Brian,

Whenever your end users submit or retrieve data through your apps, data is transferred between Caspio’s servers and the user.

The accumulation of data transferred in each interaction through apps, APIs, and import/export determines your monthly data transfer.

Each package includes pre-allocated data transfer. I am not aware of your Caspio plan. If your limit for the month is approached, you will receive a courtesy email so that you can decide whether you want to add more data transfer as an add-on to save money.

Some more tips to reduce Data Transfer are:

If your database includes images and you need to include the image in the results page of reports, use Caspio image resizer tool to create a thumbnail of the image in the table. http://howto.caspio.com/files-and-image ... sizer.html

If your database has a lot of records (i.e. more than 1000):

1 Enable search function on the report instead of using a predefined criteria report. This function enables user to narrow down the results based on the crietria.

2. Limit the total number of records returned in the results page. To do so, navigate to the "Search Results Option" wizard screen and change the Total records returned from "All matching" to a fixed number.

3. Limit the number of columns on the results page (i.e. 10 columns/fields) and let user navigate down to details page to view more information.

I hope this helps :D

Hi,

I just want to add to the previous comment above, this is just based on the information provided to me by a Caspio expert when I also inquire to them about this issue.

Caspio count how much data “leaves” the Caspio database as the DataPage is rendered. If the DataPage has a lot of lookups, dropdowns, cascade elements or Ajax editing abilities, you will see an increase in data transfer. 

This is a good resource of best practices: http://howto.caspio.com/datapages/best-practices-in-creating-caspio-applications/. Using browser tools (F12 and Net Tab) is a good way to estimate the size, but the actual size might not be exactly what is counted from our systems. Below is more information that can help to understand the areas contributing to data transfer:

Activities performed inside Caspio Bridge that incur data transfer include:

1. Preview Submission Form and you submit data and files.
2. Preview Search and Report DataPage and you Search. When you get results with many rows and images, sorting and paging, and click to details and go back to results.

Activities performed inside Caspio Bridge that doesn't incur data transfer include:
1. Creating and accessing objects
2. Import of apps/tables/DataPages
3. Export of objects
4. Upload and Download of files
5. Preview of Submission form without lookup dropdowns
6. Preview of Report DataPage, direct to results (or details) that do not display images nor paging activities

Also, you can check the number of used resources within your Caspio Bridge account if you select from the top menu bar "Account"-->"Usage and billing".

I hope that helps. :) 

Hi,

Just to add to my previous comment above,  In most Caspio plans, data transfer is the primary metric to measure platform usage. Since all plans provide free unlimited users for applications, data transfer is a relatively straight-forward method for this purpose.

To reduce constraints during the development and day-to-day data management of your applications, Caspio is changing the way they calculate account data transfer.

Effective November 1, 2015, any data transfer incurred by account users within Caspio Bridge accounts is free and therefore no longer calculated toward your monthly data transfer. This change is automatic and you are not required to do anything.

Here are examples of account data transfer that are now effectively unlimited:

All interactive importing and exporting of data and apps. This includes all user-initiated import/export, but does not include DataHub activities.
All uploading and downloading files within the account.
All development activities such as creating and editing DataPages and other objects within the account.

This policy change applies to all plans. We hope that this change will encourage you to explore the platform more freely and apply Caspio-powered applications to more business activities.

For more details you can refer to this link: https://blog.caspio.com/update-on-caspios-data-transfer-policy/?_ga=2.17722617.1188761798.1546486140-537387838.1546486140

Thanks. :)