Is It Possible To Create A View Using Custom Sql?

webmanager

Question

Hello all. I am looking to create a view that pulls from two tables, however my caveat is that I am looking to pull random records from the second table. I would like to know if it is possible to create more robust views by directly manipulating the SQL behind it.

Thanks,

Mack

1 answer to this question

Ok, so apparently I have stumped the group. My next question then is, can someone explain how I can insert "native" ads into my search form results. My employer is looking to have random paid write ups for various businesses appear in the search results from our community service guide.

So essentially, a reader will surf to the guide page and do a search for say post offices in one of the local counties. When the results come up she wants to see mixed in among the list of post offices, a random write up we have produced for a paid ad. Her idea is to have it blend in like it is a part of the search results.

My original idea was to have the editors put thier write ups into a second table that I could merge with the table that contains the actual community information using a view that would pull in records randomly from the "write ups" table but it looks like from the deafening silence that no one knows how to achieve that so now I feel stuck.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to help achieve this project goal?

Thanks,

Mack