Dog walking log for shelter, getting started

ucdcrush

Question

Hi all. I'm a volunteer with a local animal shelter. Currently, when we take a dog out for a walk, we write down on a piece of paper on their kennel that we took them out. It's not a very efficient system as there's no easy way to know which dogs have or haven't been walked without looking at all the kennels. We have tried to use a whiteboard but it becomes quite a task to manage it, and of course people have to go to it to use it.

So I was thinking of making some kind of application that would allow users to easily log when a dog has been walked.

I envisioned the app/site to look like this:

1) User logs in

2) Main page displays a table, looks similar to attached picture.

3) The table displays the walkable dogs (I figure one table would be "dogs" and would include the animal number, name, kennel location etc.) in the first column, and the other columns are any walks that occurred today (right most column) and the previous 3 days.

4) When the person wants to log a dog walk, they click the "Walk" button for that dog, which would add a record to another table "walks" for that animal ID number. Beyond the animal ID number it would also record the time the button was pressed and maybe the username who clicked the "Walk" button.

At this point, I'm not at all sure how to create something like this, but it seems like Caspio might have the ability. I have created the "dog" and "walk" tables, but beyond that, I'm not sure if what I'm hoping for is even possible in this platform.

It would be helpful to know if it is possible to do this in Caspio, and whether that would require an upgrade from the free version to do it.

Also if people have other ideas for how to keep a log like this using Caspio, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Dave in Sacramento

dogWalks.PNG

1 answer to this question

Hi @ucdcrush,

This is doable in Caspio. This can be done using the Tabular Report or Calendar DataPage. However, if you would like to have this like in a Date basis, I suggest to use Calendar DataPage and have the "Walk" as like this page here: https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-create-date-specific-new-record-links-in-calendar-datapages/ so they can see and submit the logs for Walk on a specific day.

I hope it helps!