Cannot add new record from tabular report

Allison

Question

Using a filtered tabular report to view and update current records; inline edit and inline add new records are both enabled.

Users are able to  update records, but cannot successfully commit new record information to the table.

Add button appears in results list; can input information to create a new record, but when we click "add" nothing happens; the page refreshes, information vanishes, no information is passed to the table.

Please help! (Caspio rookie here, please be gentle)

4 answers to this question

That is strange.

You did mention that no information is passed to the table, does that mean no record is being added on Table Level, and not just DataPage? You said it's a filtered one, so it may not show on the DataPage, but will be added on the Table itself.

Are you using a Table as a DataSource or a View?

Have you tried other browser? Clear cache?

Additionally, have you checked if there's any triggered action on the Table that might prevent this new record from inserting?

30 minutes ago, TellMeWhy said:

That is strange.

You did mention that no information is passed to the table, does that mean no record is being added on Table Level, and not just DataPage? You said it's a filtered one, so it may not show on the DataPage, but will be added on the Table itself.

Are you using a Table as a DataSource or a View?

Have you tried other browser? Clear cache?

Additionally, have you checked if there's any triggered action on the Table that might prevent this new record from inserting?

There are two DataPages, both set up same way (tabular report view, inline add in results page, detail view available). One DataPage is built on a table, one built on a view. The editable side of the view is the one to which we are attempting to add the records. NEITHER DataPage will commit a new record to the table/view.

The filter is to navigate to the correct related record. The workflow goes like this.

Report 1: Search  parent table, view/edit/update results in a detail view (no add). edit/update working as expected. On update, pass ParentID pk as external value to Child1 DataPage = report 2

Report 2: filter data for Child1 (table) based on ParentID pk, display results in tabular report with inline add and inline edit enabled. inline edit is working fine, add is non functional. On update/add, pass Child1ID pk as external value to Child2 Datapage = Report 3.

Report 3: filter data for Child2 (2-table view, Child1-2, with editing enabled for Child2) based on parameter passed from Child1/Report 2; tabular report with add/edit enabled. Again edit works just fine but not add.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps something isn't passing correctly but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is. No records are being written to the tables from the "add". New records shouldn't be filtered out in the datapage because they should be created as part of the correct record in the relationship, right?

ETA: there are no triggered actions on any of the tables. Same problem on multiple devices and multiple browsers.

11 minutes ago, Allison said:

There are two DataPages, both set up same way (tabular report view, inline add in results page, detail view available). One DataPage is built on a table, one built on a view. The editable side of the view is the one to which we are attempting to add the records. NEITHER DataPage will commit a new record to the table/view.

The filter is to navigate to the correct related record. The workflow goes like this.

Report 1: Search  parent table, view/edit/update results in a detail view (no add). edit/update working as expected. On update, pass ParentID pk as external value to Child1 DataPage = report 2

Report 2: filter data for Child1 (table) based on ParentID pk, display results in tabular report with inline add and inline edit enabled. inline edit is working fine, add is non functional. On update/add, pass Child1ID pk as external value to Child2 Datapage = Report 3.

Report 3: filter data for Child2 (2-table view, Child1-2, with editing enabled for Child2) based on parameter passed from Child1/Report 2; tabular report with add/edit enabled. Again edit works just fine but not add.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps something isn't passing correctly but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is. No records are being written to the tables from the "add". New records shouldn't be filtered out in the datapage because they should be created as part of the correct record in the relationship, right?

If I understood it correctly, you are passing an ID from REPORT1 which is connected to multiple records on REPORT 2 upon updated of REPORT1. 

REPORT2 is then filtered using this ID, however, Inline insert does not receive this specific ID, or does it? The only way you can receive an external parameter on Inline Insert is to set the field to hidden, and you will be able set its On Load value. If this ID is not inserted through the Inline Insert, then the added record will not have any relationship with that ID, and since REPORT2 is filtered using that ID, the added record will not be included in the DataPage. If you are properly inserting this ID through your Inline Insert, then probably a Triggered Action on your table? Is there one?

3 hours ago, TellMeWhy said:

If I understood it correctly, you are passing an ID from REPORT1 which is connected to multiple records on REPORT 2 upon updated of REPORT1. 

REPORT2 is then filtered using this ID, however, Inline insert does not receive this specific ID, or does it? The only way you can receive an external parameter on Inline Insert is to set the field to hidden, and you will be able set its On Load value.

Thank you! I did not actually have that fk ID field added to the results page. Now that I've put it in properly as a hidden field, it is receiving and writing accurately to the table. (duh.) I appreciate your help. Here's hoping that all my problems will be so simple to fix.