Do I need a HIPAA Compliant Website?

jfrink

Question

I am evaluating CASPIO and I had a question regarding the need for a HIPAA compliant website.  We will be collecting PHI using Caspio data pages.  Does the website that I embed the datapages in need to be HIPAA Compliant?  The website itself won't be holding any Patient Health Information so I am curious why it might be a requirement.

2 answers to this question

Hello @jfrink, I believe utilizing a HIPAA compliant CMS can provide an extra layer of security for your PHI aside from getting a HIPAA compliant database like Caspio. There are some popular CMS that are HIPAA compliant that you can try like WordPress and Joomla according to this article. In conclusion, it would be best for you to have both a HIPAA compliant database and CMS.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, jfrink said:

I am evaluating CASPIO and I had a question regarding the need for a HIPAA compliant website.  We will be collecting PHI using Caspio data pages.  Does the website that I embed the datapages in need to be HIPAA Compliant?  The website itself won't be holding any Patient Health Information so I am curious why it might be a requirement.

hi @jfrinkOnly if the website is utilised to collect, display, store, process, or transfer PHI is it required to be HIPAA compliant. There are no HIPAA requirements for your website if it simply promotes your organisation, offers contact information, and lists the services you offer.