building maps with lat and long

nmd130

Question

I am trying to build a mashup, but only have latitude and longitude of places. To make matters worse, they are formatted as degrees, minutes and seconds rather than a decimal value.

Couple questions:

1. Can you use Caspio map with latitude and longitude?

2. If yes, must I convert dms to a decimal value? Is there an easy way to accomplish this using excel or access?

4 answers to this question

An earlier post clarified how to to this, but best I can figure out, you have to use the decimal values, because Caspio doesn't suport utf-8 coding in a web search form (which i THINK is required to render the degree mark). Maybe you can figure out a script to convert deg/min to decimal. Anyway, here are the instructions from the earlier post, which worked for me:

You could do this, whereever you see the codes: "[@field:Address], [@field:City], [@field:State] [@field:Zip]" replace them with [@field:Lat],[@field:Long].

Make sure Lat and Long should be the corresponding field names in your table.

B.Mahdavi

I am trying to build a mashup, but only have latitude and longitude of places. To make matters worse, they are formatted as degrees, minutes and seconds rather than a decimal value.

Couple questions:

1. Can you use Caspio map with latitude and longitude?

2. If yes, must I convert dms to a decimal value? Is there an easy way to accomplish this using excel or access?

Unfortunately, Caspio Map Mashup does not support lat and long at this time. You need to have an Address, City, State, and Zip.

Hi Napoleon. I have several Caspio map mashups using Google where I feed Google either a straight address or a latitude and longitude, depending on circumstances. They seem to work just fine.

For example, I have an application that maps beaches, some of which do not have a conventional street address -- think miles of white sand. In those cases the Capsio field fed to Google for mapping purposes contains latitude, longitude. Where there is an actual address, the field contains that. The single field contains a mixture of both.

Am I just lucky?

Unfortunately, Caspio Map Mashup does not support lat and long at this time. You need to have an Address, City, State, and Zip.

Hi Napoleon. I have several Caspio map mashups using Google where I feed Google either a straight address or a latitude and longitude, depending on circumstances. They seem to work just fine.

For example, I have an application that maps beaches, some of which do not have a conventional street address -- think miles of white sand. In those cases the Capsio field fed to Google for mapping purposes contains latitude, longitude. Where there is an actual address, the field contains that. The single field contains a mixture of both.

Am I just lucky?

Please give me the URL of that application so that I can take a look at it.