Web Form that Updates Two Tables?

mdupras

Question

Is there no way to have a single web form write to more than one table? For this restaurant database I'm working on, I need to store certain information (hours of operation) in a separate table, but I want one input form to write to both the main table and the hours of operation table. However, it seems that's not possible. Web forms can use views, but only views that reference one table.

Any thoughts on how to work around this?

-- Mike

3 answers to this question

Hi Mike,

One work around to this would be to create a two forms: form1 (linked to main table) and form2 (linked to hours of operation).

Configure form1 to go to form2 after it's submitted and pass some values from form1 to form2 using passing parameters. Automatically submit form2 using some javascript. Here is a sample code to do this. You must place it in the footer.

<script type=\"javascript/text\">
setTimeout('document.getElementById(\"caspioform\").submit()',500);
</script>

Thanks! Since my first post I figured out to use two forms, but I have the user filling in information on both forms. It sounds like what you're saying is they fill in all the information on the first form, and the information that needs to go in the second table is passed to the second form, which catches it all but is never seen by the user because it's auto-submitted -- is that right?

I like that idea, but here's what might be a wrinkle. In the \"hours of operation\" table, for each restaurant record in the main table, there are 7 records in the hours table -- one for each day of the week, with overall hours, when they serve breakfast, lunch, etc.

The first form passes the auto-incrementing ID to the second form, and when the second form is submitted, it reloads so the user can enter another day of the week.

I'd prefer only one form, but I'm not sure if what I'm describing would work using your method -- what do you think?

-- Mike

Hi @mdupras,

You can use triggered action to update another table upon insert to the first table. You don't have to use two web forms. 

For more information about triggered action, you can visit this link: https://howto.caspio.com/tables-and-views/triggered-actions/

You can also check this forum post to have some idea: 

Regards,

kristina