Issue with virtual fields in formulas

KG360

Question

I spend about 30% of my time testing variants to get formulas to work. I wish Caspio would issue a documentation of rules for virtual fields in formulas. Does anyone else struggle with formula syntax related to virtual fields? For example, what is wrong with this formula? It does not deliver anything.

CASE
WHEN '[@cbParamVirtual73]' != ' ' THEN SELECT Org from tbl_360Obj WHERE Objective_PK='[@cbParamVirtual73]'
WHEN '[@cbParamVirtual82]' = 'Define my own' THEN '[@cbParamVirtual80]'
ELSE NULL
END

Virtual 73, 82, and 80 are handling text. V73 is a drop down selection outputting a random ID and so is V80.  82 is a radio button selection. Instead of != ' ' I have tried IS NOT NULL many times.

Any hints or written set of rules for virtual fields?

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, IamNatoyThatLovesYou said:

Hello @KG360, Is the formula just not show anything or are you receiving error messages? Can you provide me with an exported copy of the DataPage and the expected result?

Hi and thank you. Actually I think I just solved it by putting the SELECT statements in parentheses. I believe Caspio should do a better job at providing a rule book, for example: 'Always put SELECT statement sin parenthesis when they are part of a formula'. I will validate that this works now...