Auto Password Generation?

Rapid

Question

7 answers to this question

I'm trying to set up the situation described in the first post right now, where a randomly generated password is sent to a new user. I am using an encrypted password field type, but it won't allow me to assign an autovalue to the password.

It works if I use a text field for the password, but then the password isn't hidden from administators.

Does anyone know if it is possible to auto-generate a password when using the password field type? If not, what other strategies have people used for first time users to gain access to their accounts (when set up by an administrator). Is it possible to email a unique link to a datapage that allows that user to set up their password themselves?

Hi,

If you want to have a password field with a password DataType then a workaround that I'm thinking of is to add two fields into the table, one field as a text DataType and another one as a password DataType. You then create a Submission DataPage and on Configure Fields screen you set a Random password to the text field and email it to a user, however on submission you should have a JavaScript code to set the value of random generated text field to the password field. like this:

document.getElementById("InsertRecordpassword")

= document.getElementById("InsertRecordTextField")

Now, you create an authenticated DataPage,users login with their username and password which received its value from the random generated field and then redirect them to update their temporary passwords. :mrgreen:

I agree with the solution provided by "londoncity" however I don't think that you need the javascript because the password (encrypted) field can initially be left blank until the user logs in with his auto-generated password to an update form, input his real password (encrypted one) and continue. The authentication of all other authenticated DataPages must be based on the real password field not the text field which was initially auto-generated. The auto-generated password will only be used once for the first time log in to update the profile.

Best,

Bahar M.

Thanks bahar and londoncity for the replies and suggestions. They both sound like excellent strategies for implementing what I am trying to accomplish. Just have to decide which one to implement now... I kind of like the javascript solution because then I can just have one standard 'change password' datapage that all users utilize, not just those logging in for the initial time.

Thanks again.