Caspio REST with Microsoft power automate

EvSam

Question

Hey caspio universe, I am trying to use the Caspio REST API via Microsoft power automate and was wondering if anyone out there has made any flows with caspio? I have been experimenting with creating a custom connector and using the HTTP trigger but can't seem to get the authentication to work. Has anyone else gotten this to work? PA's HTTP trigger can use Basic Authentication but I can't see to get the authentication work that way. 

3 answers to this question

Hey, @EvSam

Yes, we made it work with PowerAutomate.  And yes, this may be tricky :)

Even though Caspio's authentication is based on OAuth2, it's implemented differently than you may get used to. Unlike other applications, Microsoft PA Custom Connector will not help you to authenticate to Caspio (at least, I don't know how to do it).

To make it work, we implemented two supporting flows that work on schedule:

1) Gets the Refresh token and saves it to an environment variable (as plain text or Azure Key Vault, whatever makes more sense for you). This flow may work once a year, based on the expiration time of the Refresh token; 

2) Gets the Access token (using the Refresh token from the environment variable) and saves it to an environment variable. This flow may work once a day; 

The main flows use Basic authentication, using the Bearer token from the environment variable.

I hope it will help. 

I understand the frustration when trying to use the Caspio REST API via Microsoft Power Automate, as authentication can be a tricky part of the process.

While I haven't personally used this specific combination, I can offer some general insights that might help you get past the authentication roadblock. First, make sure you've obtained an API key from Caspio; this will be crucial for authentication.

Instead of Basic Authentication, you might want to consider using API keys in the "Headers" section of your HTTP request. Include the API key as part of the "Authorization" header with the word "Bearer" followed by your key.

Also, double-check your connector settings for any misconfigurations. Ensure you have the correct endpoint URL, and that you've specified the proper HTTP method (GET, POST, PUT, etc.) for your API call.

If you're still having trouble, consult Caspio's official documentation or reach out to their support. They often provide detailed guides and might be able to assist with specific issues you encounter.

Remember, the Caspio community is here to help. If someone has successfully tackled this challenge, please share your insights!

Good luck with your Caspio REST API integration, and I hope you get it up and running soon!

Regards

Naina Sharma