Displaying Days in day order instead of alphabetical order

chrismeadrn

Question

7 answers to this question

I think you are talking about a dropdown (or listbox) field of web form. Open the wizard, at the configure fields step, select this field from the DataPage elements, Standard tab --> Field options --> Source: select the custom value. Input all 7 days (you will be able to add new entries by clicking the new button, and change order by the up/down facing arrows at right side).

If you are referring to your results page order by day field, it orders the results alphabetically as the field is a text field. If you want the results being order by day I have a workaround which is a number field with relative values as below:

Sunday 1

Monday 2

Tuesday 3

Then sort your results page by this number field.

Hope this helps.

The suggested solution works if you are looking for a one-time fix.  But what if you need this option repeatedly in your datapage forms and don't want to keep typing the same thing over and over?  If you want a dropdown table instead of typing in a custom table.... here's a suggestion that worked for me:  If you need calendar days or months expressed in text  in order (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc.; OR, January, February, March, etc.) and you want to create a look-up table to use as a dropdrown field, you can set up a lookup table that places a number in front of the word so each option is placed in order when you use it in a datapage form.  For example, place your options in the lookup table for MONTH to appear like this: 01 January, 02 February, 03 March....  Then use A-Z option in set-up and your months will appear in order. Hope it helps!  :P

There is an easy way to do this. I am also assuming that you are using a lookup table as you can manually set the display order of custom values using the up and down arrows to the right of the entry box when creating your list. When using a lookup table, select the field that you have for "Days of the Week" or whatever your label may be on the configuration (Search/Results/Details) page. After you have selected your lookup table and values and then under the "Sort by:" drop-down select "None". This will grey out the A-Z box next to the drop-down. 

Keep in mind that what this solution does is deactivates any secondary sorting method that is requested. The display order of the items will then be static and dependent on how the list is organized in your lookup table. So when setting up your table, plan accordingly and enter your fields in the same order that you wish to have them displayed on your form. This solution requires no change in how the data looks or feels.

This question still hasn't really been answered.  I know how to sort in my FORM, but there is no way to sort in the RESULTS by day, not alphabetically.  I don't want every day of the week to have a number in front of it, that just looks stupid.  Why can't I sort my results the same way I can my dropdown on my form?  I should be able to sort by value and have the display show on the results in the order I want.  There is no way to do this.

Then the suggestion about the corresponding field full of numbers.  That is fine, but is there a script to make that field auto-populate when each day is selected?  Surely other people need to sort by day of the week, this shouldn't be this hard.