2 datapages to create record then edit record?

cflapt

Question

I'm creating patient forms for a doctor's office -- patient registration form, initial evaluation form and progress forms for each patient visit. The patient registration form creates a unique ID for the patient and the rest of forms use this unique ID. After the initial submission to these forms the records/forms often must be updated. My question is -- do I have to use 2 datapages if I want to have a record that the user creates then is able to edit? Right now I have a datapage that creates the record, e.g., the initial evaluation submission datapage receives the unique id parameter from the patient reg form and creates a record in the initial evaluation table for the patient. Then if user needs to edit this record they go to another datapage, a search and report, search for the record then edit from details page. This seems the only way, but I'd rather not use 2 datapages for every single form so I just want to throw this out there to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 answer to this question