Grouping List Report

ServiceBreez

Question

6 answers to this question

Hello @ServiceBreez

Sorry for the delay,  please check the steps below regarding to the 3rd suggestion:

Important Field(s) to accomplish this: 

ID (Autonumber)

GroupField (Text255)

The idea here is to display the Group field in every first occurance of the group in the report, using a Calculated field and HTML.

Step 1: Create a table containing the mentioned fields

Step 2:  Create a List DataPage and use the table.

Step 3:  Add a HTML Block, that will display the GroupField Like this:

<h3 style="background: rgb(238, 238, 238); border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding: 5px 10px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">[@field:GroupField]</span></h3>

Step 4: Add a "Calculated Field" that will SELECT the minimum/first record occurance in every Group and use a CASE statement that will hide the  "Grouping Label" is condition not met. Like this:

CASE WHEN ( (SELECT MIN(ID) FROM TableName  WHERE GroupField=target.[@field:GroupField]) = [@field:ID])

THEN ''
ELSE 'none !important'
END

Step 5:  add a Style function and use the calculated field value to  hide the  Grouping label in the other record that doesn't met the condition:

<h3 style="background: rgb(238, 238, 238); border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding: 5px 10px; display: [@calcfield:1];"><span style="color:#FF0000;">[@field:GroupField]</span></h3>

Notice the "display: [@calcfield:1];" in the code.

Step 6: Hide the Calculated field in the report using this code:
Refer to this link: https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/

<table style="display:none;"><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

Make sure that you enclose the calculated field with the HTML Block wit hthe code:
image.png.80730c52bb218cd446e15ae587ec34a7.png

Step 7:  Use the ID as the Default sort order field:
image.png.abfd9c7ad4138f60ac4ad54584d5c889.png

You may test it out here:

https://c1abv183.caspio.com/dp/482760000760c781fb574c3e98c2

I have also attached the DataPage and Dependencies for you reference.

I hope this helps :) 

CaspioData_2021-Jan-26_1036.zip

Hi @ServiceBreez,

As I know there is no Grouping feature in the "List DataPage"  in a standard way. Here's what I think you can do:

• Sort the records by the field you want instead, for them to be ordered:
    image.png.aa696aea70b23041f98a660317c2188a.png
  • Create a multiple List DataPage that is filtered base on your Groupfield (not recommended)
  • Or you can do a custom code(JavaScript) that display the HTML Block below in every first occurrence per/base on GroupField. (If you do this, make sure that the record is sorted as well)
    image.png.65597140b2ec18ba88744fb45c0e988d.png

I hope the suggestions helps. 

Hi @WatashiwaJin - thank you for that suggestion. 

With regards to the multiple List Datapage, are you suggesting multiple datapages on a webpage?  Or is there something actually called a multiple list datapage?

It sounds like the javascript option sounds promising.  I am not familiar with how to display based on every first occurrence.  Is there a sample you might be able to point me too?

(BTW, your creativity is amazing!)

Thank you @ServiceBreez :)

What I suggesting in the second part is "Multiple DataPage on a WebPage" (This is not recommended because it will cause you a lot of DataPage depending on your Group(s)) but if you want to do this, you need to do a seperate search and report DataPage (https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/tech-parameters/how-to-separate-search-page-and-results-page-into-two-different-webpages/) and alter the system message "No Records found" so when you search for a specific group, that message won't appear in the other DataPage.  Check here on how to change it:
https://forums.caspio.com/topic/6769-no-records-found-message/

As for the 3rd suggestion, I was thinking that this is also possible with the use of calculated fields + HTML combination without using JavaScript. Let me try that and get back to you :) 

Hello! I have a similar workflow where I need to do grouping in list datapage and I was able to make the code shorter.

HTML Block 1 

<h3 style="background: rgb(238, 238, 238); border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding: 5px 10px; display: [@calcfield:1];"><span style="color:#FF0000;">[@field:GroupField]</span></h3>

<table style="display:none;"><tr><td>

HTML Block 2

</td></tr></table>

And I enclose the Calculated Field between the HTML Block 1 and 2. 

image.thumb.png.088741c2c9501a317f3c99d1cd7a82c6.png