How to get a Cascading Dropbox - based off Formula or 2 fields??

AccessNerd

Question

I need to be able to select values from a list based off two columns/fields.

To keep it simple, I have a table that has the following fields Tool, Size, Description.  Tool and Size are not unique, but the row itself is unique: For example:

• Tool, Size, Description
  • Wrench, 14 Description A
  • Wrench, 14, Description B
  • Wrench, 15, Description Z
  • Wrench, 16, Description 1
  • Wrench, 16, Description 2
  • Wrench, 16, Description 3

When the user is entering detail on a data page, they must select a Tool, and a Size, but then they need to be able to select one of the descriptions from the descriptions with that Tool/Size combo. For example if the user selected Wrench and size 16, then the Description 1, Description 2, and Description 3 would be available for selection.

This would be easy with a Select statement as the source for a drop down, or if I could simply use a concatenated formula field as the parent field for the cascading drop down. But that's not an option. This seems like it is pretty standard, so I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

Can anyone help???????

4 answers to this question

9 hours ago, AccessNerd said:

I need to be able to select values from a list based off two columns/fields.

To keep it simple, I have a table that has the following fields Tool, Size, Description.  Tool and Size are not unique, but the row itself is unique: For example:

• Wrench, 14 Description A
  • Wrench, 14, Description B
  • Wrench, 15, Description Z
  • Wrench, 16, Description 1
  • Wrench, 16, Description 2
  • Wrench, 16, Description 3

When the user is entering detail on a data page, they must select a Tool, and a Size, but then they need to be able to select one of the descriptions from the descriptions with that Tool/Size combo. For example if the user selected Wrench and size 16, then the Description 1, Description 2, and Description 3 would be available for selection.

This would be easy with a Select statement as the source for a drop down, or if I could simply use a concatenated formula field as the parent field for the cascading drop down. But that's not an option. This seems like it is pretty standard, so I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

Can anyone help???????

What does your Look Up Table look like? I believe it should be

Wrench - 14 - Description A
Wrench - 14 - Description B
Wrench - 14 - Description Z

So basically, all combinations, you have to input in your Lookup Table, you will then be able to see A B Z when Wrench and 14 is selected

47 minutes ago, TellMeWhy said:

What does your Look Up Table look like? I believe it should be

Wrench - 14 - Description A
Wrench - 14 - Description B
Wrench - 14 - Description Z

So basically, all combinations, you have to input in your Lookup Table, you will then be able to see A B Z when Wrench and 14 is selected

Thanks for responding, It's the 3 columns, these fields:

plus I have a concatenated field that has Tool_Size in case I was able to use that, but I can't use formulas fields as parent fields in the cascading dropdown settings.

So the issue is that the Description lookup can only go against 1 column/field in the lookup table. So if the user selects a tool of "wrench", then size of "14", the cascade drop down settings for Description will only allow for 1 parent field - so you can only choose Tool or Size as the parent field, but not both.  

3 minutes ago, AccessNerd said:

Thanks for responding, It's the 3 columns, these fields:

plus I have a concatenated field that has Tool_Size in case I was able to use that, but I can't use formulas fields as parent fields in the cascading dropdown settings.

So the issue is that the Description lookup can only go against 1 column/field in the lookup table. So if the user selects a tool of "wrench", then size of "14", the cascade drop down settings for Description will only allow for 1 parent field - so you can only choose Tool or Size as the parent field, but not both.  

I see, then you can use my previous message, the PARENT for Size is TOOL, PARENT for Description is SIZE

1 hour ago, TellMeWhy said:

I see, then you can use my previous message, the PARENT for Size is TOOL, PARENT for Description is SIZE

@TellMeWhy 

Thanks for the help. I was missing the logic that the "cascading" works its way down the parent field chain through all dropdowns. I was assuming that it was only 1 level deep so to speak. Makes sense especially considering the term "cascading". I appreciate the quick help.