Why wont excel properly sort timestamp?

roattw

Question

Greetings all.

I have a DP and table that has both a timestamp field for when a record created and on the DP a text/calendar popup field user selects date they make the entry.

When I export this data to Excel, excel never sorts it correctly, even after making sure its set to a date format.

On the DP I have the calendar popup field set to  the On Load receive to [cbtimestamp*] so it defaults to that day.  Possibly not the best approach?

Regardless, when exported to Excel those columns never sort correctly by date:

What am I missing?  Thank you, as always!

caspio-date.png.70d361be8c9dbc7fc6cc249bc6c48164.png

caspio-cal.png.277a058bf8b6f85d3e7e67255d510db3.png

5 answers to this question

When exporting as Excel, date/time fields are exported as "Text" which is why they sort according to "Text" not their actual value.

image.png.bf8ceb27d190aba8a68c71938537ed56.png

You will need to add a second column in Excel to convert the "Text" date to a value Excel can interpret as a Date/Time.

I think I tested enough string length combinations for this code to make that conversion:

=DATEVALUE(LEFT(yourcell,FIND(" ",yourcell,1)))+TIMEVALUE(MID(yourcell,FIND(" ",yourcell,1),11))

image.png.60927b4a1a9d2e97d1b359fce9ad3abe.png

I did something similar to ChristianM's solution.  In Excel is split time/date cell (12/31/2022 11:58:46 PM) into 2 columns - leaving just date12/31/2022 in first column and 11:58:46 PM in new column.  Then I just deleted the time column altogether.

THEN applied  =DATEVALUE(cell range) to the dates.