Submission form - ID value is shown instead of field name

Aleksandra

Question

Hello,

I have an issue with setting up submission form. I want to create Projects Members form and pull out information from two tables: Resources and Projects. Everything is set up correctly instead of team (that should be pulled from Resources table). Value for Team field is pulled in Resources table from Team table. I created a relationship and checked display value option. The value is shown correctly in Resources table (I see team name and not team id). But, when I am trying to display this in Project Members, I see team id instead of team name. Any idea what this could be and how to solve it?

4 answers to this question

It sounds like you're just missing extra relationships.

You have 4 tables, correct? Resources, Projects, Teams, and Projects Members.

You need to make sure that every table with Team ID has a relationship. It sounds like right now you just have it for Team table. Try adding it for the others as well. 

If I am getting this right, the new submission form is for a Projects Members table. If this is correct, you need to make sure the Teams field in the Project Members table has relationship with Teams Table. Also that the Resources field has a relationship with the Resources Table.

Hi @kpcollier,

In fact, the app has more tables, but for this case only those 4 are important. Teams table is connected with Resources table where Team ID is matched with Team field (where I see team name for each resource). Resources and Projects tables are connected with Project Members table. So, what you are suggesting is connecting Teams table with Project Members table, right? But, in that case, wouldn't it lead me to creating dropdown menu for teams in Project Members form instead of having this automatically linked with a certain resource? What I tried to do was to add team as cascading text field and pull the value from team field from Resources table. 

4 minutes ago, Aleksandra said:

So, what you are suggesting is connecting Teams table with Project Members table, right? But, in that case, wouldn't it lead me to creating dropdown menu for teams in Project Members form instead of having this automatically linked with a certain resource? What I tried to do was to add team as cascading text field and pull the value from team field from Resources table. 

You should still be able to use a cascading text field after you've connected Project_Members.Team with Team.TeamID in relationships.

Right now, your Project Members team field doesn't know that is should be displaying a different value for Team, because there is no specific relationship set for Project Member Team field. Your Resources table knows how to display it, because you created a relationship and told it what value to use for display. You explicitly created a relationship with a display value for Resources Table Team field to the Team Table Team ID field.  If you create a similar form for the Resources table, Team should show as the display value. 

Adding a relationship shouldn't change the logic of how you build your form. You can still use a cascading text field to get the ID value, and then the relationship between Project Members and Teams tables will tell it what display value to use. 

Of course, this is all just going off the top of my head. Can you maybe share an image of your relationships screen with those tables, and the configuration of your form (where the team field is?)

Hi @kpcollier,

I have modified the app, and now I have a same problem in different table. Please, take a look at the screenshot I provided. So, I want to display name of project member in tasks table under the field assigned to. I am getting value for project member from the resources table. Based on the screenshot I sent, do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? I tried to connect Resources table and Tasks table but that doesn't solve my issue. Any idea what I should modify? Thank you.

Caspio AM app.png

Caspio AM app 1.png