Simple Newbie question...

fuller20

Question

I'm a very new Caspio user and I think I have a pretty simple one for anyone with any experience. \

First I have a view that relates two different tables. Table1 is the data I want to narrow down based on choices made in a webform. Table2 will be the data created based on those choices. So I created a webform with 4 cascading dropdowns. The user makes a choice on the first drop down, which narrows the second drop down, which narrows the 3rd, which gives the user the drilled down list to choose from in the 4th. When the user makes the selection on the 4th drop down, they have narrowed the list down to one row in the table. From this choice I need to populate Table2 with the corresponding row of data in Table1, but I don't want to show the rest of the data on the screen.

I know this has to be a simple thing to do, but I can't seem to figure it out. Someone please give a newbie a little enlightenment.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hi,

I am not sure why you store the data in two tables, but if the tables are related and can be joined using a common field then you can make a Search and Report DataPage based on the View and on the Search form used the dropdowns and cascading dropdowns to narrow down the search results based on the selection and the report queries the view for the selected values and display corresponding record.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bahar M.

I don't know if that accomplishes what I need or not. Maybe I should make my question a little clearer. Here's a simplified example of what I'm trying to do. Say I have two tables.

Table 1 is a list of fruits and vegetables. In that table are 4 fields: Field 1 is simply Fruit or Vegetable, Field 2 is the Name of that particular Fruit or Vegetable and Field 3 is the price and Field 4 is the profit.

Table2 is a Customer Database that will store the 4 fields from above plus the Customers Name. It is empty until we start populating it.

I then create a Webform with a textbox for the Customers Name, and cascading dropdowns for Fields 1 and 2 above. So when they select Fruit it only brings up the Fruits, and the same for Vegetables.

The problem is, I need to put the profit for the selected item into Table2 without displaying it on the screen. If I use another cascading dropdown, it's no problem at all because there is only one item in the dropdown. But since I don't want the Customer to see profit, I can't display it. I guess what I would need is a hidden field that can be a child or cascading, but that's not a built in option.

So given the info above, is the solution still the same? Is there a simple way to do this in javascript (relatively new to that as well).

Thank you.

Thanks for more description, it is clear now what you are trying to do and you came up with a smart idea.

Anyway if you do not want the price show up either you can hide it. So basically you can use a cascading dropdown and use a Java Scripe to hide it using the sample code below:

<script>
document.getElementsByName("InsertRecordFIELDNAME")[0].style.display='none';
</script>

Replace FIELDNAME with your field name. If the form is not a Capture WebForm and it is an Update or Details page of a Search/Report you need to use EditRecordFIELDNAME instead of InsertRecordFIELDNAME.

Best,

Bahar M

Regarding the date of this forum, Caspio has actually improved a lot over the years. They offer free training which you can sign up here at https://www.caspio.com/training. You will learn more about Caspio's basic to advanced features. Or visit this link https://howto.caspio.com/pre-recorded-live-training/.

They also have improved the HowTo article https://howto.caspio.com/ and more tutorial videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/CaspioInc