Default values in fields on creation of entry

peterdideriksen

Question

I am trying out Caspio in order to see if we can use it ad ad-hoc-database tool in our project office.

Lots of things work fine, but I am stuck on some questions of default values.

1) I would like to display the users name when he/she submits their time registration. I cannot find an elegant way to show the name as I can only get it in a hidden field.

2) The same goes for a date field. I wóuld like it to default today, but then be editable immediately.

I checked the documentation and instructions, but did not get there.

Hope someone can help during the trail period.

4 answers to this question

1) I would like to display the users name when he/she submits their time registration. I cannot find an elegant way to show the name as I can only get it in a hidden field.

Try to receive the value from the authentication table in this format: [@authfield:FIELDNAME]

2) The same goes for a date field. I wóuld like it to default today, but then be editable immediately.

In the date field receive the current date using [@cbTimestamp]. This way date picker will be available for user if they want to select another date.

Thanks for the try, MayMusic

But I find myself in a catch 22.The authentication field option is only possible for hidden fields and my problem is that I want to show the value. I also tried it with the dropdown option to a virtual field.

Regarding the date solution I get an error message when trying to enter [@cbTimestamp] in the "receive parameter" field under the External Assciations and Defaults section on the Advanced tab. The error says "You have entered an invalid DATE/TIME, and then something about formats.

Hi.  I'm fairly new, but here's my suggestion.  On the advanced tab, under "External Associations and Defaults: check the checkbox after "On Load:"  Then select system perameter, and select datestamp.  That is giving me a default of today.

HOWEVER I also have a question:  How do I have a field default to the current date, without adding the time after it?  If I use the datestamp, the field includes the time and I don't want that.

Is there another way to get a default date of today/the current date, or to format the field so that the time isn't there?